Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My original deluxe bucket seats are shot. The covers are ripped and the foam is gone. Other than that, what remains looks useable. I am thinking about whether I can and should rebuild these seats myself. I have no prior experience at this. Has anyone out there done this and what would you estimate the cost to be? What tools do I need? Basically, I'm talking replacing the seat buns (foam) and new covers. Maybe replace the backs or repaint the originals (one has primer overspray from not being covered when I had the car painted). Thanks for any advice/help/tips etc.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You mean nobody has any advice on this topic?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I've don 'Cuda seats and Camaro seats and there really isn't much difference in the technique needed. Hogrings and hogring pliers are probably the only thing you will need to buy other than the buns and covers. It takes a lot of hand strength to hook the splined seams, fish the spline into the groove in the buns, and compress the foam and hook these two layers into the seat frames. After finishing one seat your grip will be shot, because there will be some unsuccessful hog ring attempts until you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
yep hes right, i recovered the deluxe seats in my camaro and it was a whole weekend affair. i recommend getting a second person to help compress the foam and pull those covers into place to hogring them, I got the classic industries ones and they are nice but fit very, very tight. oh, and ziploc any parts from the seats as you take them apart so you dont misplace anything, and make note of where everything goes. good luck...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I already have carpal tunnel problems so I better wait until I have recuperated from the surgery. My hand strength has dropped off from what it used to be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts