Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of buying a new inteior kit for my 68, I would like to go with the deluxe kit, but my car is standard. I have been told that the deluxe will not work with a stanard because the window regulator is different. Does this hold water? if so is there a way to make it work with out buying new window regulators. Also will the rear window regulators not work either?

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Deluxe interior.....

Your info is a little off... It is the interior door handles and hardware that are different not the window regulators......

You will need to change them out to use a deluxe panel. No issues with the rear panels.....

Hope this helps.......

8 Ball

·
Retired
26,644 Posts
I have a deluxe interior car but when the previous owner replaced a door it was with a door from a car that had std interior . The only problem was putting the window crank on. I couldn't get it to fit at all. Replaced the regulator and all was good, the window crank went on like it should.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
hey!! my favorite subject 67 camaro deluxe interior which I love but can't afford !!!!!!!!!

to answer your ? the 67 camaro window regulator is different , the deluxe has a longer shaft where the window handle snaps on , also the door opening mechanism is different , it is threaded to take a small bolt that holds the door handle on ,

I can not imagine changing from std to deluxe , it would cost a fortune !!!!!! and then some , you can make a new std interior with all new part's every clip snap screw dash pad carpet headliner seat cover's and all for a little more than two deluxe door panel's ,,,,, and that is not my opinion that is just FACT's , if I restored the whole interior of my 67 right now with all new deluxe stuff (IT DONT NEED ALL THAT THANK GOD) I would have more in the interior than I gave for the car ,,,, JEZZZZZZ!!!!!!! I have needed the two front door panel's for 5 year's now and I will sooner or later get them , I bought front seat cover's and carpet ,,, I was hoping the deluxe part's would go down but they are going up ,,,

new rick's sale on 67 std door panel's $49 buck's that just pi$$'$ me off !!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
797 Posts
How quickly we FORGET! You DO NOT HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR REGULATORS to install deluxe panels into a standard interior car..

You can simply change out the little stub that your window crank clips to! You don't even have to remove your regulators from your car to make this simple change! Simply drill out/remove the old rivets holding your current stub & shell to the regulator, then go to a junk yard and find the correct length stub.. Use the new longer stub with your old shell and re-rivet it back onto your existing regulator (you know that one that is still in your door?).. Then you are D-O-N-E!

Install your deluxe panels with corresponding interior door handle hardware and smile at how much money you saved by not buying "Deluxe" regulators..

Hey, if anybody is interested, I can convert your existing regulators from standard to deluxe for you.. Please e-mail me and we can work out the details.

·
Retired
26,644 Posts
Go69 - you are correct but you are a bit abrasive in your approach... ;) Some food for thought; not many junk yards are going to let you destroy a set of regulators so you will end up buying the whole regulator to get the stubs. By the time you take the existing ones apart and the junk yard ones apart and swap the stubs you can replace the regulators. In replacing the regulators you can also replace rollers and grease everything and generally insure you have a proper working window for years to come. Just replacing the stub doesn't really give you that oppertunity.

Thanks for the input, it is another viable answer to the problem.

·
Registered
797 Posts
The stubs that I mention can be found on cars OTHER than 1st generation Camaros.. I.E.; Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs, other model Chevys... They can be found on cars as far back as the regulator was first used, until this very day.

Much like brake calipers, the window regulators were pretty much standard throughout the many models produced by GM. This makes converting your standard window regulators a pretty simple task.

You simply need to know what length stub you are seeking (I don't know the actual measurement as I did mine so long ago).

·
Registered
348 Posts
When I swapped my Standard to a Deluxe interior in my 1969 Camaro... I also replaced the manual windows with a set of Electric Life Power window set-up. The benifit of course was the power windows AND getting new regulators that were quiet, smooth and light!

The cost was about $700 after all the do-dads and add ons... and unfortunately on the later style (1970's) power window switched work with the system. I have a set of the 1960's style switches but they require relays to install because of original system does not have a negitive ground.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts