Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about a stereo for my '68 and i have decided not to cut the dash. I also do not care for knob style radios. I was wondering if anyone has tried to remote mount a radio and attach wires from the base untit to the faceplate, and use the faceplate as the controller? Allowing someone to only have the faceplate accessible and easily hidden. I have a convertible and dont want a nice stereo visible. I was curious if anyone had tried this?

------------------
68/383/700R4/CONVERTIBLE

[This message has been edited by SOUTHWNR (edited 12-20-2001).]

·
Registered
190 Posts
Or even better is a shop like mine that can mount the radio in the trunk and install an infa-red sensor in the dash area.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought of that, but I havent seen any remotes that have A display on them. I dont really want one in the glovebox because I dont want to open the box to see what station its on. Do you know of a remote stereo that has a disply on the remote? I have seen one through Custom auto sound, but I cant believe they are the only ones who sell this kind of radio. thats what made me think of the face plate thing. Thanks for your help.

------------------
68/383/700R4/CONVERTIBLE

·
Registered
190 Posts
take a look at www.automotiveimage.com and go to the links page. There you will find a link to Audio Options, contact them they should be able to help.

------------------
69 Z, lets see a 2nd 69 Z and oh yes a 69 RS, sh*t I forgot a 69 Coupe and oh yes a 70 El Co(LS1) and my 86/95 Chevy Van and darn the '00 Blazer.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I wonder how difficult it would be to run an extension wire between the base and the removable face, and then find a convenient place to mount the now remote face. That way, you can still have the unit in the glove box, keep the door closed, and still have access to the controls. I was thinking, maybe a bracket that mounts under the dash, like a gage pack, but easily removable for judging.
Just something I've been thinking about. I just got a CD player, and thought I might sneak a peak inside to see how difficult it might be modify the wiring. It's remote equiped, so worst case is I open the glove box door to change stations.
Another thought, I have 2 doors. I was thinking about mounting the face to one door, and then replacing it with the other door, for judging.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have seen cars where people have installed the faceplate in the visor or elsewhere and it is pretty slick. I am planning on modifying my console in the front to mount a deck under it and have a little motor that lifts it up when I turn the knob on the stock radio. When in the down position, you will not be able to tell and the stock radio is there in the dash.

------------------
Rob Rice
[email protected]
http://home.attbi.com/~racrrob

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks RobR and unreal! These are the kinds of ideas I was thinking about. Does anyone know the name of the manufacturer that does the display in the visor? It seems like they must have done something similar to what I was thinking.

------------------
68/383/700R4/CONVERTIBLE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts