Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard from several '69 Z28 owners that their car stops great with the low 13" or so vacuum and original 11" booster. Do the original Z28 boosters have some special valving or setup that allowed it to produce more boost? If so, where does one buy this magical booster? I have 14" vacuum, and would like to upgrade my manual brakes to power and would like to keep the stock look.

Gary

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Nope, same booster was used on all 69 power disc brake cars.

Idle vacuum has very little to do with the brake booster performance, since under deceleration the engine will produce a much higher vacuum, once the throttle butterfly valves on the carb close. The check valve in the booster will grab and maintain the highest vacuum seen by the intake manifold.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
According to the classic industries catelog, all 1967-68 disc brake cars used a Bendix booster and power drum cars used the delco-moraine. In 1969 only the z 28 used the bendix and the rest of the power disc and drum cars used the delco-moraine.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
My original 69 Z/28 has a Delco Moraine booster with I believe a 902 stamp. Not sure of the number It's been a while.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
There were two boosters in 69, one for power brakes, and one for power disc brakes. Power drum brake part number was 5463963 and is listed under RPO J50, power disc booster was 5468165 and is listed under RPO J52. There are no changes associated with brakes listed under RPO Z28 that would indicate it got anything other than the standard power disc booster. The Z28 didn't have any special brake parts that the SS's and every other disc brake cars got. My SS has a Delco Moraine booster. It was painted black when I got the car, wether that was factory paint, or a later attempt by a previous owner, I have no clue. Underneath the paint its cad plated.

Would assume the Bendix booster was used on the power drum cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts