Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My camaro is a weekend car that I just cruise in. It needed a new motor and my dad (without researching a thing) goes out and buys the first 350 he finds on the internet which happens to be a circle track motor, specifically:
GM Performance 88958602
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-88958602/

What exactly is a circle track motor? Does it have certain specifications or restrictions that make it impractical for street use? I'm afraid i bought something that may be tuned with restrictions for a certain racing class or may devour gasoline. I've already found that theres no place for a dipstick :(

Thanks

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Eh, that one is not as radical as some others that would be a poor choice for a street motor. Circle track motors are usually set up for power in a specific RPM band which you might not find yourself in with mainly street cruising.

You're going to need another oil pan though. Those circle track pans have a kickout only on one side and at eight quarts most likely hangs pretty low. The are pretty deep as well in the front as they are made for a windage tray and may not clear the crossmember depending on your motor mounts. Also, you may have a hard time convincing GM that a race motor is not installed in a race car. The warranty is void if used for racing. Changing the pan might cause warranty trouble as well especially since you'd have to put a new pickup on the oil pump.

Look on the other side for the dipstick. One piece seal blocks usually have a passenger side dipstick.

If the order can be cancelled or returned, I would do that and get a 405hp Blueprint 383 with two year warranty for less money. Also, Rock Auto beats Summit and Jegs by about $300 on shipped price for Blueprint engines.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MLL-BP3830CT1/

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Change the oil pan and run it. There is nothing wrong with that engine in a weekend street cruiser. It will not be radical at all.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Welcome to TC IKBU. What is the year of your Camaro? You might have to knock a dent in the firewall for that distributor to work. Its probably an HEI right?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Doesn't seem that radical to me either. 9-1 compression with peak power in the low 5000 range. The pan will be a problem with your steering arm.

·
Banned
938 Posts
Those engines on the dyno make 355 horse and 390 on the torque.

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Like others have mentioned, the pan may be a problem but that engine will work fine for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anks for all the input! I went ahead and dropped the motor in. Got a smaller distributor with an external coil to clear the firewall. I cut a corner out of the oilpan so the steering arms could clear it. Haven't got it totally drivable yet. Hesitates when punching the gas or when in drive. Don't think my edelbrock performer is feeding it enough. It's a 69 camaro

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Anks for all the input! I went ahead and dropped the motor in. Got a smaller distributor with an external coil to clear the firewall. I cut a corner out of the oilpan so the steering arms could clear it. Haven't got it totally drivable yet. Hesitates when punching the gas or when in drive. Don't think my edelbrock performer is feeding it enough. It's a 69 camaro
Cut the corner of the oil pan? Guess you rewelded? If that dont work , a decent deep sump pan would work. I would chunk the edlebrock and go small holley. Hook up proper crankcase vents and pcv valves, valve covers are an option.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
One thing to look for are factor sealed fasteners.Some circle track "factory spec" engines are sealed using spcial bolts that shear off if you try and tamper with the engine.They are designed like that so the racers cant modify the engines.If one blows up you send it back to GM,otherwise you race it as is.Most engines of this type are street type crate engines that are sealed for special class use.Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah i cut and welded the oilpan. I bought a willys holly and it's waiting till I get a fuel line kit for the dual feed. The motor does have those "gm" tamper bolts on it. Thought those were for warantee purposes

·
Registered
171 Posts
Not to hijack but Steiner I see Rock Auto's price on the Blueprint 383 is over $500 higher than both Summit and Jegs. AmI missing something?

:confused:
I bought my 355 direct from Blueprint, it was cheaper then everyone else, especially the shipping. Ditto on that hijacking, sorry.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Not to hijack but Steiner I see Rock Auto's price on the Blueprint 383 is over $500 higher than both Summit and Jegs. AmI missing something?

:confused:
Hey, you're right. I didn't look at all of them. When I was shopping, I was looking at the all forged one with aluminum heads, BP3837CT. That's the one that is $300 less, plus a little more since Rock's shipping is less as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts