Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am about to look at a 1969 Camaro with a 427 Did Chevy offer a 427 in the Camaro that year ? Here is how the car is listed:
1969 CHEVROLET CAMARO, SS 427ci BB many hi performace parts.turbo400 tranny,12bolt 456 posi rear.motor,trans and rear have 5k miles.all lots of chrome and sounds like dragster .must see no dreamers!!! color: torch red- and white and black interior $13,500.00,

·
Registered
278 Posts
chevy offered the copo (search the archives for more info) with a 427 and performance companies like yenko and baldwin motion offered them too. most were not ss, but stripped cars. $13,000 is way too low to be a true copo or other, but you never know. get the #'s off the trim tag and engine and post them on the tag team section and someone will help you decode it.

------------------
To see a pic of my car, click here... pages.prodigy.net/mtbmtb/rf396ss.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nickey Chevrolet was also a dealer that put out a 1969 427 Camaro. It had the hood badges with SS427 on each side of the hood. Maybe that's where you're getting the "SS" from. Nickey Chevrolet put out one of the better looking 427 Camaros.

------------------
Camaros rule...Mustangs drool!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, will post the numbers as soon as I look at he Camaro. Thank you for your help, most appreciated

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think the ZL-1's had them and also the L-89 camaro's did too. They were the aluminum 427's.

·
Registered
98 Posts
A bodies and F bodies never had factory 427's. All were installed by a dealer, either as a one time deal, or as part of the COPO program. But many have put the venerable 427 in these cars. IMHO alowing corporate policy to forbid over 400 cubes in a A or F body at Chevy so the Vette could have them only was a crock. Clearly some dealers thought so.

Jaytone, its probably a nice 427 in a nice car. But it is not original An original COPO will run ya north of 50K I'm told.

FWIW, I run a detuned L88 ( this is a 427 built in 1967-71 adn claimed 560 hp) in an A body with mild gears. It rips. It'll run a 502 good. Prior, the L88 was in a 68 Camaro.

If you drive this car, tie the subframes, tweak the rear suspension and hang on for some real fun!

You will need to replace the 4.56 rear gears. And you might need to swap camshafts if its too radicalr. The dragster refernce has me bothered, the guy obvuously has more "mouth" than brains.

Also 13.5 for a cherry well built BB car is not outlandish. Not cheap either. And definitely not cheap if you have to swap gear sets, swap cams etc.

------------------
Gene Chaas
67 Chevelle SS 427/L88

[This message has been edited by 427TRI (edited 08-16-2000).]

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hey clill, got any L89 heads for me? I'll give you an arm but I'll keep my leg.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM,fold down seat, tilt wheel, SS wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah and I;d like a set of 074 L88's while you're at it. Always nice to have spares.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have a boxer but I think I'll keep her. Now my senile 18 year old cat on the other hand . . .

If you do have a set I am interested.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM,fold down seat, tilt wheel, SS wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust

·
Registered
98 Posts
Clill, yes correct. I misspoke. There are some non documented cases of dealers swapping in 427's as well.

·
Registered
222 Posts
All COPO's, ZL1's and Yenko's were FACTORY installed 427's. Yenko's were just COPO's that had badges, gauges, etc, added at dealer. It is completely incorrect to say there were no factory 427 '69 Camaro's! I doubt this is what your looking at but it can't hurt to look. A clean straight '69 w/ a 427 may be worth $13K anyway.

Good Luck.

------------------
1969 RS-Z/28: DZ302, M20, 3.73, Tuxedo Black, Deluxe Black Interior, Factory Tach, Clock and Console Gauges, Rear Defrost, Spoilers, ZL2 Hood.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts