Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the difference between RS & Standard Tail Lamps just the inner lense? The inner lense being the reverse lamp on the standard light?

An other question: can these lights (not the lenses) be reconditioned?

Cheers MJ:beers:

·
Retired
16,045 Posts
are you talking 67-68-69?
On 69, center of taillight in RS is part of the red, same as outer parts of it. Backup lights, white, are below the bumper by themselves on 68-69 for sure, Im not positive on 67 but think its the same. RS is under bumper backup, white.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Whoops. 1968!

Sorry I was a bit vauge. I know the backup lights on the 68 RS are below the bumper. I'm talking about the actual rear tail lights. It looks like the only differene between the RS & standard Tail light on 68 camaro is the color of the inner lense. Is this correct and if so can they be restored?

·
Retired
16,045 Posts
Lense color and no hole in the bucket that holds the bulb fixture either. The 'non RS' bucket would have a center hole for the backup light. This is RS bucket for 69, probably same as 68. :)

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
I don't believe they're the same Jim. The 69's are wider and shaped different. Especially the part just out of view to the left of your picture. Here's a look. Those are,,,, different than the year before.

·
Retired
16,045 Posts
Yes the 68's are shaped a little different, I only posted the pic to show the bucket and holes for lamps. They should be 'similar' to the 68. 3 holes for non RS, 2 holes for RS.
:)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys,

I think you are both off the mark here. The 69 has the reverse lights in the centre. The 68 only has two lights and the backup lights are in the centre.

There isn't anything in the centre. I'm talking about the 68 NOT 69.

Cheers, MJ

·
Retired
16,045 Posts
Just to be clear, thats what I was trying to imply that the RS cars in 68 and 69 have the white backup light below the bumper and NOT in the taillight bucket that I posted a pic of. The RS lense is red all the way across.

68 and 69 "NON-RS" cars have the white backup light in the center of the taillight bucket. So its red-white-red in the lense.
Same page we are on :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
68 and 69 "NON-RS" cars have the white backup light in the center of the taillight bucket.
Jim, only 69's have the backup light in the middle of the bucket. On 67s and 68s they only have a left and right side light. On a Non-RS, on one side of the bucket is red, the other is white and on the RS, they are both red. You have 2 bulbs regardless of RS or not.

Sorry for all of the EBAY links below, I didn't have time to save the pictures to my site and post them.

67 bezel
67 standard lens (comes in 2 halves)
67 RS lens
67 Bezel and lens installed

67/68 backing plate (2 pics)
68 bezel and RS lens
68 standard lens (comes in 2 halves)

69 standard lens and housing (note 3 holes in housing)
Another standard housing pic
69 RS lens
69 RS housing (see Jim's picture above)

To answer the above, the RS and Standard housings(backing plates) for 67 and 68 are the same. 69s are different for RS and Standard.

·
Retired
16,045 Posts
Im bad, my mind was stuck on the backup lights below the bumper for RS and I spaced out the 67-68 buckets were split for the non RS backup light like that. You are both correct. :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
With the difference in the # of holes for lights in the housings, you will also have a difference in the wire harness and two holes in the trunk floor for the wires to the separate reverse lights below the bumper - if you are thinking of converting your car to RS trim.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Whew!!!:p

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
MJ I believe one of your questions was can you re-condition the bezals. Yes you can but they are allot of work to do as the guy who did mine complained about how hard it was to work with pot steel and mine still had small marks from some deep pits.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
MJ I believe one of your questions was can you re-condition the bezals. Yes you can but they are allot of work to do as the guy who did mine complained about how hard it was to work with pot steel and mine still had small marks from some deep pits.
Yeah, I just replaced mine. That was 27 years ago. Of course I used NOS. The car was only elevin. Don't know how good the new stuff is. My replacements still look great. Garage Queen, you know.;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts