Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone! I wanted to know if anyone could tell me the difference between a 1970 and a 19701/2 Camaro if there is one. I was told that all 70's are 701/2 is that true? I thank you in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You! DjD you answered a question for me that has been bugging me! I am glad I joinned this group. I am sure I will have many more questions in the future. Thanks Again.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The cars were delayed because of technical problems, not a strike.

Take a peek at the 69 Camaro, and then look at the 1970 version... I'm not sure what the trouble was, but they showed up late.

Calling a 1970 Camaro a "1970 and a half" camaro causes as much confusion as calling a Rally Sport a "split bumper".

·
Retired
26,739 Posts
Titles and registration get filled out by hand and when the new model year cars come out months before jan 1st (or in this case after the new models should have been released) it's easy to see how a title could be wrong. To the best of my knowledge you will find no '69 body style with a '70 VIN.

Edit: Where are my manors, Welcome to one of the best automotive sites on the web 70C!! The folks that stop in here are the greatest!!

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 05-25-2001).]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info and the warm welcome. It is greatly appreciated! I purchased my Camaro from Jerry at Camaro Country in Marshall Michigan last summer after my husband and I took a fun trip through Cincinnati, Louisville, Lexington, and then Indiannapolis one weekend. It was so much fun doing that. I tried calling GM for some info on my car but since I'm from Canada I had to call GM of Canada and they woulnd't get me the info. But by joinning a club like this one I can see that the info I wanted to begin with I can get here! Thanks Again!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The newer body style for 1970 was announced on Feb 13th 1970 and went on sale Feb 26th 1970 according to the book CAMARO ! Chevy's Classy Chassis by Ray Miller. All camaros up until this were actually 1969 body style

------------------
Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi
94 HD Dyna Wideglide

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can confirm that the 1970 Camaro was really a 70 1/2. I worked for Roger Pensky in Philaderphia as a parts man and saw the first lead come off the truck. Roger special ordered a 396 SS auto with 4 wheel disc leaded. Sweat ride. We also had several ZL1's, pace cars and RS conv. The big sellers were Monti Carlos and Malibu's. If I recall they gave a reason for the delayed release due to parts and retooling setup delays but I really think it was due to 69 model overstock they wanted to sell off first. /B]

·
Registered
559 Posts
Welcome to the site. Being as no-one has mentioned it yet you might check out the CRG site they answer that question there, although they are primarily about the 1st gen stuff.

http://www.camaros.org/geninfo.shtml

The second Q&A has the answer to the production issues with the 70 camaro.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
If you had purchased your Cam in Canada, you'd be able to source the car. Because it was bought in the states as you did, they didn't keep the history on it. Sad but true.

capt

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I heard that the reason for delay was due to retooling of the frame and some engine components, being the cowl was "shorter" than the 1st gen.
A cars' design starts with the cowl and everthing works around it. The 1st gen sub frame would not work because the engine was too high and no cowl hood was in the offering, so all that had to be redesigned. Also they wanted the wrap around rear window in the 70 but could not get it designed in time so it came a few years later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts