Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have seen this cowl induction set-up for sale on eBay and here it is again in this wrecked 1st Gen.

Has anyone tried this? It looks pretty simple and incorporates a K&N filter.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
probably works better if there is a hood on the car, and the front end not all smashed up..
i want to put a NASCAR style ci setup on my Monte- with the sealed air box going to a hole cut in the firewall that draws in the air from the base of the windshield. that way, i don't need a scoop on the hood and the hood won't need to seal against it to make it work.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
I am a little puzzled. The hood on the trunk is a cowl hood. The pan around the Air cleaner does not look like it extends into the cowl area (at least to me). Also, isnt that area above the distributor tight?
That was standard stuff for TransAm racing the first gen in the '60's. The distributor is under that blue metal behind the K&N. The only thing different is the lack of a cross-ram.
But that picture is too sad to look at much longer. Here's my K&N.:yes:

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
You probably noticed - other then the Corvette and Chevelle - GM did not emphasize cowl induction for the Camaro yet engineered the frame webbing of the hood to accommodate one - as per the circular hole for an inducted air breather using what ever scoop you wanted. The LT1 and L88 scoops where popular because they draw on the Hi Pressure air trapped at the base of the windshield. What I did, and so did many others of the era, was to buy an Edelbrock or Morrosso air Cleaner that fit nicely over your Holley. Then go to the local Hardware store and buy the lid for a Metal Garbage Can (which probably does not exist any more). Anyway you cut the outside sealing lip off the lid and mount it upside down after you have cut a hole in the middle of the lid and either welded or riveted to the base plate of the after market air cleaner then attached the outside perimeter of the base plated to extend it.You must scribed the distance to include a rubber buffer between the bottom of the hood plain and the top of the inverted Top of the Garbage Cam Lid. This is an example and what I use on my car.

As far as the examples provided (applicable to the damage pic's in this thread) I sometimes think there is a limit to practicable and experimental induction systems - lol

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is cool (no pun intended). I saw one guy a recent car mag article who used an upside down cake pan to seal the air cleaner to the cowl hood. It actually looks pretty tough

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
The more I look at the Cowl induction of that 1st Gen Camaro makes me think that there must have been race regulations preventing modifications to the stock lines of the car for the event; other words, it would have been simpler to bolt on an LT1 to draw from the Hi Pressure area at the base of the windshield. Either one does the same job. I would imagine an air cleaner base plate is fabricated into that lower tunnel design and the assembly mounted to the cowl in a fashion to allow flex as the motor rocks. The top of the cowl may also have been troughed or tapped into. Nice if you want tunnel ram and do not want to change the original lines lines of car. Of course the Intake/carb combo has to fit under the stock hood for that mod and by the angle of the valve covers in that Pic sure looks like they went to extremes to lower the engine, it's amazing that the air cleaner is still in it's original location - lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts