Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where i can buy the shims that center the differential in the housing over the inter net. The original on the right side was cracked. They are for a 12 bolt.

thanks in advance ,
m22

·
Registered
6,246 Posts

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I have some nice adjustable shims for the 12 bolt for $20 a set (enough for each side). They look like the ones pictured above.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do the adjustable shims work (what is it that adjusts?) I broke the cast shim during installation. The reason i wanted to find something on the web is that i live in upstate N.Y.(20 minutes from border and i can't find anyone who deals with this). I actual would prefer someone to set the rear end for me but can't find anyone who will work on it.

m22

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
The adjustable shims have 2 thick halves with thin shims between. You can add and remove the thin shims to make the whole thing thicker or thinner. I can e-mail a picture if you want more details.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everone... I ended up ordering the adjustable shims from west coast differentials. How tight should i pack the shims in ?

thanks,
p.k.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
As tight as you can get them without shaving any mettal off when you tap them in. You shouldn't be able to pull the differential out by hand.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance

1 - 9 of 9 Posts