Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a 69 camaro with a muncie.
I beleave it came with a 10 bolt 8.2 rearend from the factory.
Will the driveshaft length differ if I put in a later model 8.5 10 bolt?
How about a 12 bolt?
Thankyou...Tom

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
The answer on the 8.5 is maybe. If it has a 1310 pinion yoke, the original bolts right up, supposedly. if it has the 3R yoke, the driveshaft will be too long by an inch or so.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the 8.2 & the 8.5 housings the same length from the axle centerline to the end of the pinion side of the housing casting?
Will a pinion yoke from a stock 8.2 fit on the 8.5?
Would that give me the right length for the original driveshaft?
Thankyou...Tom

·
Registered
167 Posts
I did the same swap about 2 years ago. Went from a 3:08 peg-legger to 4:11 posi in an 8.5 rear. Behind my 4 speed it was like night and day. I also upgraded the rear mono springs to Hotchkis at the same time. You will need make sure your new rear has perches that accept whatever you are running now.

I did need to get my driveshaft shortened 7/8 of an inch. Cost was $100 with all new u-joints on both ends.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Gas mileage? Poor at best. The car has only been seeing maybe 250 miles a year for the past 5-10 years, so I was ok with putting a real tall gear in it. I don't drive on the highway much, if at all. I will be upgrading to a TKO or overdrive some time in the next 5 years so I was kind of thinking that the 4:11 would be ok.

If you drive on the freeway, I'd go no higher than 3:55. With my 235/60 14's, I am turning close to 3,500 rpm at 65 MPH. It does rock around town with that gear though.

Good luck with your choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.