Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I have A 68 Camaro & the dash lights are so dim that you can hardly see how drive at night.A while back someone posted about dash light bulbs that were brighter and would not melt the plastic around them.If anyone out there has the bulb # that I can cross ref. at advance auto I would appreciate it. Thanks ,,,,CAMARO BOB

·
Retired
16,017 Posts
Bob if they are that dim, the problem isnt the light bulbs but most likely the grounds are rusty, gummy, and not making good connections. Have you gone over the wiring harness? Follow grounds to the body and sand those areas, use star washers and clean screws to make the grounds solid again. I bet you cure the issue that way. :)

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Another option for brighter dash lights is to install relays for your headlights. When these cars were new and all of the wiring connections were pristine the setup worked fine. Over the years as the connections get dirty/oxidize the resistance increases and your headlights and dash lights gradually dim. The headlight relays take a huge amount of the load off of the circuit - the benefit is brighter headlights and brighter dash lights. It is a fairly simple and inexpensive fix.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Bob,
Hey before anything, did you check the position of the dash lighting dimmer rheostat on the headlight switch?

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Bob,
Hey before anything, did you check the position of the dash lighting dimmer rheostat on the headlight switch?
Or the possibility the rheostat is bad? But, back to the first thing mentioned.....good grounds. Make sure you have good grounds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts