Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 69 dash lights come on all right, but are dim. Is it the ground, bulbs,
Bulb sockets, Light switch or what? I have not pulled dash yet. Is it easy.
Rest of lights work good. I'm in Florida for winter, but want to know what
to look for when I getHome. Thanks

·
Registered
922 Posts
My 69 dash lights come on all right, but are dim. Is it the ground, bulbs,
Bulb sockets, Light switch or what? I have not pulled dash yet. Is it easy.
Rest of lights work good. I'm in Florida for winter, but want to know what
to look for when I getHome. Thanks
Rotate the headlight switch knob fully clockwise, then, counter clockwise a few times to see if it makes a difference in brightness. You could clean the dash light ground wire connection on the dash panel brace, but, if the rotational movement of the switch does nothing, I'd bet the dimming rheostat is bad. You can change the switch without removing the dash...if you're a contortionist, have nimble fingers and the proper tools.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If not the dimmer switch, could be the bulb sockets.

Pulling the dash carrier isn't terribly difficult, but you have to drop the steering column to get it out.

5 small screws around the perimeter hold it in place. The high beam indicator has a ground wire running to the panel brace. Once out, check each bulb by rotating (ccw I think) and removing from the laminated circuit board - carefully. There may be 'greenish' oxidation where the bulb sits in the socket. If so, take a very small file and clean the brass sockets of any visible corrosion. I did this many years ago because half the lights didn't come on.

This is also a good time to give the gauges and carrier a thorough cleaning! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I remember right, the dash lights dim with the switch. But when I get
Home I will try all the Suggs. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
If you have a meter, check voltage at the bulbs while turning dimmer. My 69 doesn't have the circuit panel mentioned, just bulb sockets. Make sure you check all of the grounds inside also. I had problems and found two of the three grounds loose. And a real long shot (if you always had this problem) are they the correct bulbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts