Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....a starter or alternater do this also? Internal short?
Everything was fine, rapped thru first, hit 2nd and POOF! Can't find a short, yet. Wondering about the starter/alt.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, have you ever had a fusable link go? Yeah the car died. There is no juice to anything. Nada. Nothing.
Twisted fusable link wire back together and touched positive cable to battery and it melted in half again.
No doubt a direct short. Wondering if anyone has experienced this problem with a alt. or starter shorting internaly.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
K, Steve. disconnect the batt cable to the starter solenoid away from the block or frame. then touch the battery cable to the + post. if it sparks, your cable is grounded severly Its possible that the solenoid itself fried out and internally grounded. Your starter itself wouldnt have grounded and be noticable unless you turned the key and tried to start it to get the cable to melt. Check those out and let us know. Thats the only real direct trace to ground other than the line going to the horn relay on the radiator support. Try there next if the first doesnt solve it.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Nantooch, I will give that a try.
Won't be able to get to it till next weekend but will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
If the diodes in the alternator short out you could potentially have a pretty low resistance to ground. Should be easy enough to isolate by disconnecting the alternator.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Did this befor, when I had trans and motor apart, pinched the Positive starter wires between the block and bell housing, everything worked for about a week untill I had the big meltdown.....

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found it. Had a zip tie back behind the bellhousing break & let the alt. wire hit the header. It was behing everything & very hard to see but glad it was an easy fix.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
ok, i know this is an old topic but i just had the same thing happen to me. my 69 has been apart again for about 2 or 3 years. i decided to to a complete nut and bolt resto. anyway, the 14g fusable link from the pos cable melted. this really sucks when you are getting excited to start the car for the first time in years. i guess from reading this thread, it can be the alternator or the starter. the short only affected the fusable link from the pos cable to the junction block behind the battery. i have all new wiring in my camaro so the wiring should be find. i had taken apart my alternator and starter to clean them up so i am wondering if that could be the problem. maybe i put them together wrong. i am guessing i can unplug the alternator and see if it still shorts. if it doesnt, i guess that will be my problem. any other suggestions? i dont feel like buying new battery cables to try and track down the problem and have the keep blowing.

thanks
angel

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
update. my fusable link didnt completely fry. i pulled the cables ff before it did but i still have to get new ones because now it looks like poop. i also disconnected the alt. lead and my electrical system is operational except for my alt. i guess when i rebuilt it,i did something wrong. oh well. at least i know my headlights work

angel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts