Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to get interesting, I think. Our area's premiere auto repair facility, no longer believes in, or promotes, or will do, frequent (3000-5000) mile oil changes. They are advising their customers to go up to, or beyond 15,000 miles. They only change the filters now.They say they have the latest technical data and it shows that the longer the oil stays in your engine, the better it is for it. Again, this is not a fly-by-night shop, rather one that has been here many, many years, with highly trained techs, that command VERY premium prices for their services.. So what's your opinions?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
It's hard for me to believe that they would refuse to change my oil after 3,000 miles. After all, they're in business to make money and I'm a paying customer. Aside from that, even if shown proof, I'd have my doubts. We've been told for years of the viscosity breakdown of old oil. If you get 150k-200k out of a motor by changing the oil every 3-4k miles, are they saying I can get 300k-400k by only changing it every 15-20k ?? Again, I have my doubts. I'll keep changing my daily drivers every 3k and the Camaro every 700 to 800 miles.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
The viscosity breaks down, period. End of story. Hydrodynamic film bearings have a SPECIFIED and NECESSARY oil viscosity depending on bearing clearances.

If that bearing film, which is directly related to viscosity, is too thin, the bearing's load carrying capacity is reduced. If your bearing clearances specify SAE 30 and you use SAE 10, you get accelerated bearing wear. This is an industry accepted concept, not just car engines. Lathes, machine tools, etc all follow this.

I would ask for the data and the number of samples. If only 5-10 samples were used for the test, I'd call BS. If there are 5000 samples, then they could be on to something; the oil companies sure wouldn't want everybody to know about it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I run synthetic in my daily driver and go up to 6,000 miles on an oil change. It is primarily run on the interstate and I have been told synthetic can be run up to 10,000 miles! 6k makes me nervous but it comes out clean and I have noticed no adverse effects.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reason they won't change your oil at 3k is they are a "care care" type facility, which means, in their words, "we want to take complete care of your car, we want to have you as a life-long customer, we want to make sure what we do to your car improves it's long-term life, and we won't have you spend money foolishly". In other words, when you bring your car to them, you get their brand of service. They are not a "speedy-lube" type facility. They do have some of the leading edge techs, and the owner is really into preventive maintanence, and no throwing your money away. His facility is one of our better "accounts", so next time I see him I am going to ask him on what studies and tests he is basing his oil changing on.

·
Registered
353 Posts
IMO, all this 3,000 mile crap started when the "speedy lube" places were thrown up everywhere. I believe if a quality oil is used, then a 3,000 mile interval is definately premature. Of course, it depends on driving conditions etc. For normal highway driving I change my oil every 5,000 miles and my engines last with no major problems caused by excessive wear.
The Camaro gets an oil change about every 3 - 5 months because of the amout of time it sits. As far as mileage, it probably gets an oil change every 200 miles
. I Don't think it needs it, just havin fun underneath the classic! ;)

·
Registered
594 Posts
I change all mine around 3000 miles, although I've heard several different opinions. Anyway, what will it hurt to change it after 3000 miles? Wouldn't that be like getting to much fresh air? (The better the oil is the quicker it'll get dirty.) Does this company rebuild engines? Kevin

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hi, I work for a car company, and we manufacturers are constantly trying to extend the service intervals on our vehicles. Customers demand it these days, because if your product costs more to maintain than the competition,you're sunk. Todays aluminum engines dissipate heat better than the tried and true cast iron counterparts,fuel injection cuts down on the fuel contamination/breakdown of the lube, and oil now is just plain better than it was in the past, with the addition of synthetics and other additives. The bottom line is, the manufacturers provide a warranty on new cars using LONG oil change service intervals of 10k or more. This would not and could not be done if engines were seizing under warranty,since it would cost the companies millions of dollars in repairs to customer's cars. Its going to take a LONG time to have this kind thinking take root. As for me, I STILL change the oil in all of our vehicles every 3000 miles no matter what. So much for adopting the corporate culture!

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Since they started putting smart oil monitors in, I've used them. I drive my truck 30k a year, so maintenance costs are an issue with me. The monitor gives me 75-8500, and I take every mile of it.

The Camaro, on the other hand, gets 2 oil changes a year (1000-1500 miles each)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The area is Northern California, specifically the Bay area. As for the shop's name, since it is one of our "best" accounts, I will ask him before I give his name out as I do not want him deluged with phone calls or e-mails unless he's receptive. Thanks.

·
Retired
16,008 Posts
Dirty oil is NOT good for your engine, Im thinking someone was over exagerating to make a point.
Mobile just came out with a 15,000 mile oil and of course Amsoil has had 1yr or 25,000 mile 100% syn for 30 years now. The filtration and type of driving have alot to do with extended drain changes. Ive gone a year with all 5 of my cars and had oil analysis done on one of them and find the oil still in tolerences for continuted use, but I change once a year anyway, and oil filter changes at 6 months using 'depth' type filters, not paper cardboard cheapies. Ive used the one year drain interval for over 25 years now with excellent results.
European cars have long had 7500 and up to 12,000 mile changes in their owners manuals.
3,000 can be ok if driven in dirty conditions but for well maintained cars, a good 100% syn can do a year or more with monitoring. The additive packages and base stocks are designed to withstand alot over time without degrading.
Old school mechanics will argue till they turn blue but oil analysis proves it can be done.
BUT to each his own, you want 3000 mile changes go ahead. It makes the petro companies smile alot

[ 02-08-2005, 06:50 AM: Message edited by: click ]

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
I've posted this many times!

I have ran good old Walmart Tech2000 5wt30 and 10wt30 and their el-cheapo oil filters in my '87 Chevy Sprint/Suzuki Swift 3-banger corn-popper past 11,000 miles as well as in my 2000 Suzuki/Metro 3-banger when I commuted a lot! My driving was almost 100 percent clean highway and the oil still didn't look/smell all that bad!!

The key is getting your motor hot enough long enough so that it evaporates the condensation out of it's oil system whether it is water or fuel b/c it's those things plus the wear particles that make oil go bad over time and sludge up.

If I was anal about oil I would run Amsoil with a bottle of EOS or plain ROTELLA or URSA Diesel Oils b/c they still have the heavi-metal extreme pressure lubricants in them or they did the last time I looked their spec's over.

I personally can't see paying that much for synthetics when the good old Tech2000 oils have always done me fine, IMHO!!

I figure to be cost effective, I would need to run synthetics at least 30,000 miles or so AND even I am leary of doing that!

Now if I was guaranteed it would be OK to run synthetics to say, 50,000 by just changing the filter every 10,000 and topping it off with a half quart, I might consider that as being cost effective vs dino oil....

pdq67

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I haven't seen any real convincing tech info that going more than about 5,000 with conventional is a good idea. I know that in some instances synthetics will go a little longer, but I personally don't think the risk is worth the $30 savings.

My '02 Chevy owners manual says 5,000 miles and I put a synthetic blend in it. At 5k the oil is ready to be changed -- looks and smells a little dirty but not too bad.

The Camaro gets changed every spring and once during the summer. That works out to be about 1500 miles. I am running Mobile 1 in it with the best filter I can get -- with the bypass plugged.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I'm ashamed to admit it but, I've gone upwards of 7,000 miles with Q-State 10W-30 synthetic blend in my daily driver truck. This isn't the norm for me but with synthetic blend, I try to not go beyond 5K miles.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts