Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm needing someone to lead me down the right path. Iam wanting to add disc brakes to the front of my 69. I have never done brakes before and am not sure how tuff it is, or what to expect. I was thinking about getting a conversion kit from Ricks, or right stuff ish. I have 14 inch wheels and dont want to change those. Is it worth paying someone to do it or is it a pretty easy job. How long should I expect to send on it? It would need to be alined after the job, correct?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
You might check David Pozzi's sticky at the top of the page. Lots of info on many different topics. Especially brakes and suspention.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=75836

You might post up the ID on your 14" wheels. They may not fit over even stock disc brakes. Not all 14's are the same.

·
Registered
513 Posts
If you can read and follow directions.... you can do it.. If you run into a snag, you will be able to find the answer by searching this forum. Measure twice, order once!!
Make sure you find out if the new kit will change the the track width of your front wheels.. as that may cause rubbing issues.
If you go four wheel disc, be sure to take out the residual valve if you have one in the rear brake line.
Make sure you coordinate the correct MC bore with the new brakes..

Disc brakes are the IMO the best upgrade you can do to one of these cars.... Go For It..!

·
Registered
561 Posts
One of TC's sponsers is Classic Performance Products (CCP). CCP is in Anaheim, CA. CCP caters to the classic car crowd. There prices are very reasonable. I installled their disc brake conversion kit on my '68 Camaro with no hiccups. I installed their front lowered coil springs and Hotchkis rear springs. Check my User CP album for pix. My brother lives in Huntington Beach, just south of CCP. So I stopped by CCP after calling ahead, and saved on shipping and was able to visit my brother. CCP has a nice showroom which may relieve you of some disposable income on extra parts. LOL

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
If you do decide to do it yourself, be very, very careful with brake fluid around painted surfaces. The disc brake install is pretty easy as noted above, but if you have never done one, just take extra care with the fluid addition and bleeding process. Brake fluid will destroy most finishes; there are "safer" brake fluids, but they have other issues that make them less desirable for use in our cars.

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts
I went with the Stainless Steel Brakes 4 wheel manual kit and DOT5 silicone fluid. The only snag was the emergency brake cable but a kit from LOKAR solved that. some of the newer kits have the Ebrake cable kit available. Either way you go you will be impressed. I might suggest that if your front bushings and ball joints are not fresh this would be a great time to do those too.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Very easy conversion if you are at all mechanically inclined. As stated before, be very careful with the brake fluid around any painted surfaces. I can highly recommend the kits from Inline Tube. I have 14 X 6 rally wheels and their kit fit perfectly inside my wheels. Also all stock style components, so you can get pads from any local parts store.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts