Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was in another site and someone said that they swapped there drum brakes and installed a dics brake setup from a 74 monte carlo in there 1st generation camaro without having to do any modifications. i thought this could not be done with this type of donor car ?
can anyone tell me what donor cars can be used to do a disc brake swap for my 69 camaro ? i know firebirds,nova's,can be used, but monte carlos's ???
thanks,
bruce69camaro

·
Registered
396 Posts
I installed brakes from a 71 Monte Carlo on my 67 convert. It was a direct bolt in swap. However if you do it, you must switch the steering arm attached to the drum from the camaro to the new disk setup, but this is easy. Look deeper into the older post and you will find several post which state which cars can be used, there are quite a few. I know there is at least one post which list all the cars, thats where I found out which one to use.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The only monte carlos you can use as donor cars are 70-72, later ones have a taller spindle. As prev stated, if you go with the monte brakes (or any other pre 73 A body, chevelle, lemans, skylark, cutlass) you will need to use your drum brake steering arms, as you have rear steer linkage and the A bodies are front steer. Not a hassle, only 2 bolts hold em on.

------------------
66/70 chevelle ss396's
69/71 camaros

·
Registered
15 Posts
You can use any X-body car for the disc brake set up , these include novas pontiac venturas, buick appolos etc. They are direct bolt on parts as far as I know. Dependin on where you stay, they should be fairly plentiful in the wrecking yards.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just finished putting power disk brakes into my 68 conv. from a 74 nova. It has gone very slick. Everything switched right over and I only paid $150 for the entire nova. I had the rotors turned, put in new pads, new hoses and thats it..

·
Registered
287 Posts
The X-body (Nova) will only work through 1974. After that they use the same chassis as second generation Camaro's. If you look at the frame of a 75 and newer X-body you will notice that the steering box is located in the front of the subframe crossmember. These cars have a front brakes which will not interchange into a first generation camaro without using tubular control arms.

Steve R.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I've heard that the later spindles will work of you swap them side for side and bolt on the original steering arms, anyone know the truth? And what's this about taller spindles? Isn't this the fix for our camber curve problems?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts