Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone do a simple conversion kit that'll fit inside 14" wheels on a 68?
I'll be upgrading my wheels eventually (and bigger brakes).. But i need something in the meantime to improve the brakes for certification. (They're sticklers for safety down here)
Thanks.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
it would be easier and cheaper to get the parts to make the drums work properly for now.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
I used a 71 Monte Carlo disc system, on my 68, the American 200S I got in 73, (still on it), I had to grind the parting line off the left caliper, I didn't touch the body just casting flash, been there since '88.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
The guy is in NZ, we cant just go by stuff of the shelf...or down the wrecking yard, althu there is a hell of a lot of HT HK HQ and HZ stuff that is identical or very similar and interchangeable.

Disc brakes for small wheels? ....simple conversion kit that'll fit inside 14" wheels on a 68?
I run the factory discs up front with 14" ss cragers, yrs back had those ugly solid magnesuim mags of the early 70s made in NZ..(cant rem the name, made by that company in Wiri that exported rims for ford and mazda) nps
I know..this iis for 69 and assume 68 the same
the HQ stub axle and ball jont are identical except there is a small casting knobb that needs grinding back...and mounts the
The bearings /seals are HQ,
The HQ disc both vented and unvented fit the camaro calapers and backing plate
I do not know If the complete unit...HQ calapers, backing plate (very diff to the Camaro) plus the disc are all interchangable but see no reason why.

Also in NZ the HQ discs, calpers, stub axle are basically a std fit for trailers.....

Where in NZ are you?... a JAFA ? or near by?

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
For factory type disc stuff it depends on which 14" wheels you have. I know that some 14" rally wheels fit over discs - that's what I used to have. I also know that some 14" steel wheels will not fit over discs. I like Derriks's idea - get your drums up to snuff and do bigger disco brakes later.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Didn't all the factory front disc only cars come with 14" rims?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Didn't all the factory front disc only cars come with 14" rims?
No Iont think so cause z28 and a few other options only had 15" and discs.
But on camaros like mine (an ex demo) I beilive was an opition.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dave
good to see another kiwi here!!! I have just completed my own big brake kit useing oem stub axle etc drum hub wilwood rotor hats & rotors made mine own caliper brackets with wilwood calipers. I used cpp booster & m/cyl with prop valve but i am running 18'' coddys on the front.if you want to go down the big brake kit way may be we can talk or all the drum unboosted gear i took off mine may be able to help you with yours???.cheers kabrka

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your advice guys. It's enough to bring a tear to the eye. Steptoe: I'm a little north bound of jaffadom. And yeah, it's a pretty safe bet that if its american and over here.. someone gives a damn about it so there isn't much in the way of donor cars. Ian.. i'll be going down the big brake route later on.. but first i need to get it by the anal tendencies of the local lvvc. Thanks everyone for your advice. This site is the balls.

·
Vendor
974 Posts
We have the kit you need. They are specifically designed to work in stock 14" drum or disc wheels. On my website, call, pm or email!

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Steptoe: I'm a little north bound of jaffadom.
Going past takanini turn off ..let me know m8...coffe always on.
MCB
We have the kit you need. They are specifically designed to work in stock 14" drum or disc wheels. On my website, call, pm or email!
One thing of concern to us down under is not the best prioce on the shelf...its getting the parts to LA for shipping ...I see u are Ca around San Fransico....
Generally shipping to LA gets bloody more expensive than even air frieighting across the pacfic ocean....and we pay (from 1st OCt) 15% GST..sales tax on shipping, insurance..the lot... then add the current exchange rate at about 73c to the US$... then add the international exchange fees.....
The big thing is the freight+ tax.

·
Vendor
974 Posts
We ship daily to Aust.

Kim my wife handles all the shipping logistics, feel free to pm her at MCB kim or Email her at [email protected] or give us a call 925-828-5555

She will take care of you!

Thanks

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
We ship daily to Aust.
Aussie is a different kettle of fish...do you ship the Auckland Airport NZ?
I ask cause I have used Classic for near 30 yrs, and since a few yrs back, one orders a part urgent, their left hand doesnt know what the right is doing, they require hard copy confirmation for off shore, even it dealt with them NPs 30 yrs.. by the time that gets here its a week or so , then they dont accept if one scanns the document emails back.
Then to top it all off, they still bloody charge the extra or the 'urgent' order
Back before this I could order something ordinary air frieght door to door, Mon ..(Sry tuesday here we are a day ahead of u guys) and depending on public holidays would be in my hot little hand 4 to 5 days later.

They have done this to me for my last 4 orders, regardless of so called putting me on a "prioity customer list" which Im sure is just BS.
We are not meant to diss suppliers here... and had posts like this deleted, and got into trouble with Admin.
But hey we have quite a few Aussie and Kiwi member here now, they need to know the score of classics off shore sales policies...
Now with you Sponser guys coming in.. the ball park may change now with other sponsers on the west coast.
Its not as if we pick up the local yellow pages to find good suppliers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This guy gets it..

we pay (from 1st OCt) 15% GST..sales tax on shipping, insurance..the lot... then add the current exchange rate at about 73c to the US$... then add the international exchange fees.....
The big thing is the freight+ tax.
It does take a pretty big commitment to get even the smallest thing down here.

·
Vendor
974 Posts
We have several guys in Aust that build cars and import tons (literally) of parts through us almost every week, we can probably get you hooked up with one of them to get you a kit on one of their containers.

Just let me know if I can help!

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
For get hitching on an Aussie container...
1/ It costs more to ship back to NZ the shipping from LA.
2/Containers for Aussie get shiped direct to Aussie, very rare via NZ
4/ What we call the "pond" the tasman sea...thats about 3000 miles wide...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts