Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this possible if I change all the steering box,linkage and brake booster ?

arn't the sub frames the same ?

would this clear up the BB header problem before the engine swap?

------------------
drive it like you stole it!!! :D
67 327 11:1 4spd.
70 454 400thm 10 bolt posi
my camaros

·
Registered
503 Posts
I think the 70-81 are front mounted steering box while the 67-69 have rear mounted steering box.

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes that is true .
but can I swap all frt susp. A arms,steering box,sway bars,brakes.to elimate the BB header/power steering problem that everyone seems to have,and get the disc's also ?

·
Registered
470 Posts
First off, the sub-frames are NOT the same between 71 and 67 and they do not interchange. As far as swapping components over, that is a big MAYBE! I've not heard of anyone trying this so I won't say it can't be done, but some things to consider. First, the 71 frame is supposedly wider than the 67s so you might end up with your wheels sticking out too far. Second, I don't think the a-arms will bolt in the 67 brackets, there are slightly different designs. Also, the 71 uses taller spindles, so there might be an issue there, depending on if everything else fits.

I've seen where people have tried to swap in the whole later sub-frame, but it took extensive work. I have also seen a lot of people that have switched to the taller spindles, but have used the stock a-arms and such. Personally, I think someone should try what you are suggesting and see how it comes out. Maybe you are on to something...

Good luck and keep us posted if you decide to try it.

Bill C.

------------------
Bill C.
Colorado Springs, CO

68 Camaro... someday!
71 Chevelle SS
70 Nova

·
Registered
204 Posts
What happens to front end alignment if somebody uses the taller spindles with first gen A arms, etc??

Thanks
Robb

·
Registered
288 Posts
4 speed, BC is correct... I know I've seen him go through several brake swaps and he's got a really good feel for what is interchangable... If it were me, I would chase after a conversion kit there's plenty of them out there that are pretty reasonable. I bought a Wilwood front kit for $600.00 that's a direct bolt on in place of the drum brakes.

------------------
1967 Prostreet Camaro
402cid BBC TH 400 w/4,500 stall 4:56 gears,narrowed and tubbed... Well almost
http://www.visionworks-usa.com/camaro

[This message has been edited by 67 Prostreet (edited 11-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by 67 Prostreet (edited 11-16-2001).]

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
going to check out a 68 shell this weekend for a mock up car

we'll see!