Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't seen this one covered, but might have missed it.

May upgrade to power in the future, but for now, I want to convert a 68 manual drum car to manual front disc.......I purchased brackets, backing plates, calipers, proportioning valve and rotors off a '69 with power brakes. I may get the spindles too, if not, I'll modify my drum spindles. I did not get the booster or master cylinder.

The plan is to install the backing plates, brackets, calipers and rotors.......replace the hoses, replace the drum master with a manual disc master and use the power proportioning valve.....my question.....will the power brake proportioning valve work with a manual disc master cylinder?

Anything else I need to change??

Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
616 Posts
It will work if it is a disc/drum proportioning valve.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Disc/disc and drum/drum setups don't require a hold off valve. The proportioning valve (which you keep calling the hold off valve) resides aside the driver's side frame rail.

Only disc/drum setups require the hold off valve and it works as intended with either manual or power brake MCs.

If you can get the disc spindles, use them instead of the hacksaw method to trim the drum spindles.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Disc/disc and drum/drum setups don't require a hold off valve. The proportioning valve (which you keep calling the hold off valve) resides aside the driver's side frame rail.

Only disc/drum setups require the hold off valve and it works as intended with either manual or power brake MCs.

If you can get the disc spindles, use them instead of the hacksaw method to trim the drum spindles.
Where did I say anything about a "hold off" valve??

If I can't get the disc spindles, I put the drum spindles on my mill and modify them..........

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
my 68 drum to drum had the valve under the drivers seat
it now has disk on the front and drums on the rear and the valve has been removed
no problem stopping

1 - 7 of 7 Posts