Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I got my car back from the exhaust shop. New Big Block Hedman Headers & New Flowmaster with X Pipe done. 427 Chevy Block Casting # 3855961 which is an early 1966 Chevrolet Corvette 427 Block With Cam, Dual 650 Edelbrock intake, MSD Ignition, TH400 bolted up, driveshaft yet to be shortened and installed. Car is solid with no rust issues that I am aware of. Body is fairly straight. X44 Car with 10 bolt rear. Full Interior although it is like 1980's cloth style. I am pretty deep into this project and don't know if I should keep going or just sell the damn thing to try and break even! I also have a thousand dollars worth of new parts in the box never even been opened such as 2" steel cowl hood, new hood springs, chrome mirrors, new lower valance spoiler, new rear spoiler, new grille. What is this Camaro worth approximately? I'm pretty discouraged at this point and don't know if I should just sell or keep going!?! :/

http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/romerojr69camaro/library/

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
IMHO - Keep rolling you will most likely regret not finishing it in the long run. :)

Why not work towards getting it on the road with what you have now and in boxes and enjoy her a bit then work dome more this winter.

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
You aren't saying why you are discouraged. I'll ask, so why are you discouraged with a solid body camaro with a big block?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You aren't saying why you are discouraged. I'll ask, so why are you discouraged with a solid body camaro with a big block?

I feel discouraged because I kind of dove in balls 2 the wall @ 8 Grand for the rolling shell X44 base Camaro. Then added in all the extra cash to get the Engine Tranny & Misc Parts. I now feel like even if I backed out now, I probably couldn't even sell what I have for what I already spent just to break even. & No one wants to feel like their investment is ALREADY UPSIDE DOWN when they aren't even halfway into the project!! YIKES. Whats My Hunk of Junk Worth!?! Encourage or Discourgage lol.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
I feel discouraged because I kind of dove in balls 2 the wall @ 8 Grand for the rolling shell X44 base Camaro. Then added in all the extra cash to get the Engine Tranny & Misc Parts. I now feel like even if I backed out now, I probably couldn't even sell what I have for what I already spent just to break even. & No one wants to feel like their investment is ALREADY UPSIDE DOWN when they aren't even halfway into the project!! YIKES. Whats My Hunk of Junk Worth!?! Encourage or Discourgage lol.
Investment? You are supposed to be enjoying you effort at all costs. I mean isn't that what rodding is? Did I get lost along the way?
Had my car 45 years, its been a long maintenance road all this time. Never satisfied. If I sold my car today for 80K, I would still be short. But having fun along the way.

·
14,082 Posts
Let me put it this way.

If you sell it now you're going to take a bath. Almost every 1st Gen I bought has been exactly from a guy in your situation and I buy them for about 50 cents on the dollar for what he has invested. I have 2 69's and a 67 in my garage right now that I bought just that way.

Finish it up and you'll love it and if you decide to sell you'll come out way way better.

The key to getting these projects done is just try to do even a little thing or two every week. Enjoy the time and work. Set reasonable progress milestones that you can achieve in relatively short time periods. This will keep you from getting overwhelmed or discouraged. Then all of a sudden you'll being saying "Damn this is done. Now what am I going to do?"

ps. If you want to sell shoot me a pm.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I bought a rusty POS of a '68 for $4500, then paid $6000 cash to a good body shop to weld in all new sheet metal to fix all the rust. This was when I was active duty army and I didn't care because I had fat paychecks but no time to work on my car. It cost alot, but now I've got a '68 that is rust free...

but it aint a '69, and in aint a big block either!

If you scored a rust free 69 for $8k, you got a hella good deal dude! :hurray:

OK, so never look at the car as how much you spent. Its not about that. If you think about like that, you'll be bummed because sinking money into an old car is a horrible way to invest your money. So... don't do this as an investment. Do it because you love it! Do it because you're a car guy, you're a street freak, you're a hardcore gear head, because you always wanted a '69 camaro. Be very proud because you sir, are one of the guardians of the sacred muscle. :beers:

So many people wish they could do what we do. :yes:

Make a list of what your car needs to just get it drivable and just take it one step at a time. Get that driveshaft shortened. Other little things, just get it on the road finally and then you will be totally stoked.

Right now its in that 'awkward teenager' stage where its not actually running and driving, but soon it will be, and then you'll fall in love with it all over again.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I agree as others have said....don't do this as an investment. Do it because you love working on the car....I mean IT IS a classic CAMARO!!!! How many people can say they even own one!!?? I made a list of things that needed to be done to the car while I was working on it and that really helped me to keep moving because I could SEE the progress I was making, not just on the car, but when I crossed a bunch of stuff off the list. I had so many lists, my wife teased me and asked "are you making a list for your list?" haha!! BUT it worked!! If you need to, take a breather and then come back to it later, but don't give up!!! It will be so worth it in the end when you can say YOU did all this work! Keep going!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

·
Registered
1969 Camaro
259 Posts
If you sink $40,000 into it, take good care of it, what is it worth after 10-15 years of fun? Buy a new car for $40,000, take care of it, what is it worth in 10-15 years? I will buy the 69 Camaro.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
If you sink $40,000 into it, take good care of it, what is it worth after 10-15 years of fun? Buy a new car for $40,000, take care of it, what is it worth in 10-15 years? I will buy the 69 Camaro.
X2, better said.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My thoughts are: finish the car and keep it. You'll have something that many people never experience and the satisfaction of finishing your project
My 69 was never a restoration project. However many restorations & projects have been in my garage during my life. Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge, even a few Japanese and German cars. Even seeing my wife rolling her eyes at the start and then smile when the cars were done. I wouldn't sell my 69 for money, its worth more than that to me, it is a keeper! Jim

·
Registered
651 Posts
Car projects aren't usually an investment. They are a place to waste money, like a boat. So remove the word investment from thoughts about cars you build. Resto shops make money on labor. Don't be fooled by completely falsified reality TV.
You're upset you have a 1st gen Camaro w/ a 427? I wish I had your problems.
Get it running and a driveshaft in it ad go for a ride. I'm sure that will improve your outlook. :)
Selling would be giving away your work.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
You're discouraged because of the current state. It's not going to happen all at once, it's a marathon, not a race. Your car won't be completed in two weeks, or two months, maybe not even 6-8months, and even if it is completed in 6-8 months, how would the quality be? I'd rather have a project in a million pieces for a year, than have something slapped together in 6-8 months. If I could do it all over, instead of rushing my project to have it together to compete with the jonses, I'd spend more time perfecting it, than having a decent looking car that runs/drives decent. Spend time on it, and make it stand out. People notice detail. Afterall, you don't just want your '69 to be one of the other 80,000 '69's on the road right? I look at some of these Camaros going down the road, at shows/races, and literally yawn. Don't be that guy. lol.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Hi James
When I get "bummed" at my "HS Backburner Restomod" Project, I look at this

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190635&page=61

From a bad decision to buy it, to WOW ! Amazing, I think 3 things, this guy has to be one of the best I have ever seen, The $$ and Time invested and he Can't be Married :)

I just put the GTMAT 080mil Soundproofing on the front of my Firewall/ floorpan getting it ready to install my Classic Auto Air system, moving along – Baby steps, wished I was Running.

Like AJ said, I have so much to do that I want to make it “MY own” creation and I am doing it “Old School”, as I get going on something, I get an Idea. My new one is to Modify my BB Heater Housing to adapt putting the Inside A/C system for a little Stock look other than the Block off panel.

I am Not doing this Restoration for Resale Value, I am doing it to Enjoy it with my Son.

My wife came out into the Garage a few months ago and said, “I’m beginning to get a little Mad over this Car thing” - I blurted out,
“Your going to really get Madder at my Car now, and your Pissing me off, Keep it up and we’ll get the Gloves out”. I think she was testing the waters !!!

Glad I got that Said, she has not bothered me since, I think she was jealous of the car – She should be. I told her at lunch on Friday I am not going to do this car on a Budget, I will worry about paying for it later, I have had this car for 16 years.

I took her to the Movies and bought her Pop Corn Friday night, kids are at Camp so it was a date, we saw Lucy. Great movie and I have been working on the car all weekend.

Suck it up James and get moving Forward ! You will be happy. I can’t wait :yes:
Timmy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Don't throw the towel in on her. Forget ALL of the made up fairy taie bulls#%t that is on all of these reality car shows about flipping these cars as an investment. These cars are an investment in fun. This hobby has begun to gain momentum as a way to make money. FORGET what you see and hear on Mecum and Barrett Jackson. Enjoy your car and the journey of making it yours. I have had my 69 for 15 years, and have never stopped working on it. I look forward to working on it as well as driving it. Most of us have been where you are at now. Like many others have stated already, get it driving and take it out for a nice long drive! There is NOTHING like driving in a1969 Camaro with a big block! Don't get rid of your car!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Don't throw the towel in on her. Forget ALL of the made up fairy taie bulls#%t that is on all of these reality car shows about flipping these cars as an investment. These cars are an investment in fun. This hobby has begun to gain momentum as a way to make money. FORGET what you see and hear on Mecum and Barrett Jackson. Enjoy your car and the journey of making it yours. I have had my 69 for 15 years, and have never stopped working on it. I look forward to working on it as well as driving it. Most of us have been where you are at now. Like many others have stated already, get it driving and take it out for a nice long drive! There is NOTHING like driving in a1969 Camaro with a big block! Don't get rid of your car!
+1! Barrett Jackson has ^$#@#$-ed the enthusiast population in my opinion. Now everyone wanting to sell a classic thinks that its worth 100k because they saw the gavel drop at that price in Scottsdale.

I can attest that the words "investment" and "car" should almost never be used in the same sentence. Proof? Besides my own car (which mirrors what the others have said about a money pit), look at the guys who paid well into the six figures for rare classics on B-J just before the economy tanked. The very next year, some similar cars fetched half. I have poured WAY more money into my car than it will ever be worth, and you know what, I still smile every time I jump in and light it off, then press the go-pedal and row through the gears. Trust me, one good on-ramp blast is all it will take to get you motivated. I like the other advice to get your car running and safe, then go drive it a bit. Then when winter rolls around, finish up some of the detail stuff. Best of all, enjoy having a car that someone can't just go out and sign up for payments on like a new Camaro, Vette, etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ps. If you want to sell shoot me a pm.
LMAO!!:D I bought one of John's 69's. I love this car! It's not so much about the $$, it's about the fun!

I've met more people with this car! It draws a crowd at the gas station! My Corvette doesn't do that.

The biggest PITA of this car is trying to roll your passenger window down at a stop light because the guy next to you wants to talk! Everyone has said, my dad owned one, my brother had one, my uncle used to take me for rides in his, or the best one I hear, "I used to have a....." The one that tops the list though was an older lady pulled next to me at a stop light and confessed she'd lost her virginity in a car exactly like mine! What are you suppose to say back to that one? LOL!!

First gen Camaro's are like the Tri Five Chevy's for my generation. I lusted after one in high school but my ol man made me drive a VW! Probably saved my butt in doing so!

A 69 Camaro will never go down in value like a new car. Everyday my Vette is worth less. And everyday my Camaro is worth more. I wonder why I keep the Vette. In fact it's in my storage unit now and my 69 is in the garage! :beers:
Like Vega$69 said, do something to it every day, even if it's trivial. Before long the list will be short and you'll be on the road hearing all those comments too. Ever see anyone at a stop light ask a Prius owner about their car?

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
LMAO!!:D I bought one of John's 69's. I love this car! It's not so much about the $$, it's about the fun! I've met more people with this car! It draws a crowd at the gas station! My Corvette doesn't do that.

The biggest PITA of this car is trying to roll your passenger window down at a stop light because the guy next to you wants to talk!

Thankfully nu-relics makes an affordable GM style power window system that uses all the GM mounting points so its plug and play. Too many of my buddies who finally got their rides out of paint jail developed window elbow. Second would be installing power locks so they can unlock when a hottie wants to sit and admire the paint from inside. :D

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
So, it's unanimous.
Here's another reason to keep your ride; Do you like to drag race? Road race, even if it's behind the house? They call these cars "Hugger" for a reason.
Example: mine.
I bought it new. Hauls ***. It's in virtually the same configuration today as it was then, only better.
Biggest changes:
Heavy duty sway bars
8" converter (5500 stall)
Solid roller cam.
Street legal slicks. (no tubs)
Result: Car is about 3/4 of a second quicker than the national record for A/stock when it was new. And that's through full exhaust. All I do is put on the gum ball tires to make feel just as strong going sideways. Hell, last race was with my arm resting on the 8 track and the stereo cranked full, staging at idle, trans selector in drive, and just punch it. Wheelie's like a motorcycle. ET's in the mid 10's @ 128mph without using overdrive.
The comment I've heard most often for the last 45 years is "I wish I wouldn't have sold it".
You've been warned. If the car is not for you, there are no shortages of adoption homes.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
+1! Barrett Jackson has ^$#@#$-ed the enthusiast population in my opinion. Now everyone wanting to sell a classic thinks that its worth 100k because they saw the gavel drop at that price in Scottsdale.

I can attest that the words "investment" and "car" should almost never be used in the same sentence. Proof? Besides my own car (which mirrors what the others have said about a money pit), look at the guys who paid well into the six figures for rare classics on B-J just before the economy tanked. The very next year, some similar cars fetched half. I have poured WAY more money into my car than it will ever be worth, and you know what, I still smile every time I jump in and light it off, then press the go-pedal and row through the gears. Trust me, one good on-ramp blast is all it will take to get you motivated. I like the other advice to get your car running and safe, then go drive it a bit. Then when winter rolls around, finish up some of the detail stuff. Best of all, enjoy having a car that someone can't just go out and sign up for payments on like a new Camaro, Vette, etc.
AMEN brother! Now we are ALL on the same page!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts