Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some problems at the track with my dizzy cutting out at the track then the car dies on one of the runs . Dist. cap and rotor damaged , apparently from the welds to keep the timing locked let loose. After getting home and taking dizzy out to check gear , I see the gears teeth worn . I assumed my engine builder had put in a bronze gear since it was a billet core. Well , turns out he didn't . I already replaced it with a bronze gear but am thinking the damage has already been done to my engine. What steps should I take at this point? :(

·
Registered
366 Posts
Drain the oil look for metal in oil, cut apart oil filter and look at media in filter, any metal is a bad thing. If the oil looks like metallic paint you are looking at a rebuild. Good luck.

Dan E.
69 SS396 4spd 4.10 posi x66 coupe

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'm about to go do an oil change. I just did one a week ago with a K&n oil filter and 7$ mobil 1 syntethic oil but you can never be to careful. :(

·
10,157 Posts
With distributor in the engine, check it for play.
File a small notch in the lower side of the dist housing boss to dump more lube on the gears. Notch it right above where the gears mesh.
David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts