Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to the forum and have a few questions. I have pulled my trusty 68 SS of 22 years out of retirement with plans to turn it over to my son as he is taking interest. First thing I need to do is update the braking system from drum / drum to disk / drum suitable for cruising (no racing). I am on a budget as his insurance is already killing me. I think the most economical route is using 69 disk components and milling my drum spindles? Can I get by using the original manual master cylinder? I have read several different opinions but no definitive answer, and do I need an additional proportioning valve? I think there is already one on the frame rail under the driver seat. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts
the spindle really can be milled but to make them work youll take off a conciderable amount of material.
also the master cant be used due to the different preassures betweem the two systems.
I just did my conversion and asked the same questions less than a year ago.
you can get a whole kit at or sponsor for 600 bucks and take a percentage off for being a team camaro member.
I think its 10%
go here:
http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.m...FM-1790&Category_Code=DISCBRAKECONVERSIONKITS
your better off with this kit instead of using old and sometime mismatched parts.
due to it being a safety issue.
its also a good idea to change those 30 year old lines aswell.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
hmmm.... to give some slightly different opinions...

The drum master should work if you remove the residual pressure valve from the front port. Both drum and disk/drum stock masters are 1" bore.

You would need to plumb in a 70's style combo valve in place of the stock drum/drum distribution block.

There were "particular" 14" rallye's for disk brakes. Your drum rallye's will hit the calipers. A couple people here have gone thru this, Al (BPOS) knows the details.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I have a proportioning valve on the frame rail under the driver seat. To my knowledge this has always been a drum/drum car.??? Anyway, will I need an additional combo valve at the master? I'm not worried about the metering valve, this is a dry weather only car. Also, I read that disk-brake rally wheels locate the tire very close to the tie-rod end, which is how mine fit. There are not original to the car, do you think they'll be the correct ones for disk brakes?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
On the wheels, I don't remember the exact details. There was a post within the last month where someone with 14" rallyes put 69 disks on and they hit.

BPOS posted the wheel info, his car was an original disk brake 69 with 14" rallyes.

I don't know why you'd have a proportioning valve on a drum/drum car, but it's worth a try, if the rear wheels lock early when you put the disks on, it'll be back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
I don't have all the info on which Rally wheels will work with factory discs. I know that some 14 x 6 rally wheels DON'T work, and that some do. A search in this forum will get you the correct codes. I used 14 x 7 rallys, which I thought were repro's, but looking at them I think they were GM rallys. I bought them new in the mid/late 90's. I'm fairly certain - but do your research - that all of the 14 x 7 rallys will work with the factory disc brakes.

Here is a good start:

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=100900&highlight=rally+disc+codes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts