Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need help,this is going to sound stupid,but how much voltage should be at the coil for start up? i only get 6.5 with the coil wire hooked up and almost 13 when its not.also on my starter i have the closest wire hooked to purple and nothing else besides the main, does the other side terminal get 12 when the starter is engaged? any help will be appreciated. thanks kenny

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
on this camaro it still has points ,but new and new cap rotor wires coil and new starter,this is a mini starter and the wire closest to the block is hooked to purple but the other side is open, should i have a wire going from there to the coil? thanks again

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
That sounds about normal. The wire in the loom on a stock camaro has resistance. It connects to the coil + to keep it from running too hot. But there is also another wire on the coil + that goes to the starter solenoid. What it does is apply a full 12 volts to the coil for a nice hot spark when cranking. Also you'll find that when the points are open, you see a full 12 volts and when they are closed you see about 6 volts. When the engine is running, the voltage measure on the coil + will be somewhere between 6 and 12 depending on the dwell setting. But I wouldn't put my fancy DVM on the coil + with the engine running. It might fry it. Thats a good application for the old tried and true analog meter. Sounds like it is working fine provided you are running breaker points.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts