Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm have swapped a 427 in my 68 RS and it's ready to fire except I can't get my Mallory Unilite distributer to fit down into the oil pump. It's not an alignment problem (my other HEI fits fine). I'm thinking of filing the edges of the metal bar, on the bottom of the unit, to help slide into the oil pump slot? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hello Doug. Did you buy the Unilite new? Did they give you the right one? I would call them directly. Looking in my Summit catalog, they only have two different units for the Chevy (mech/vac adv). Never heard of that one before. What about your oil pump driveshaft? New? Mellings perhaps? I would at least pull out the oil pump shaft and try to get a better idea of how the distributor fits into/onto the shaft. Filing is the last thing that I would do. At least until your absolutely sure that you have to do it.

Welcome and enjoy the site

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear (soon to be a BT 12 bolt), PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers

[This message has been edited by Judd (edited 10-23-2002).]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The unilite came out of my 350 and is a vac adv model. Mallory does not list a different unit for small vs big blocks. The original HEI shaft is the same length as the unilite but I need to check the diameter of the bottom two pilot rings with a micrometer. I think this may it because the housing does not want to rotate (very stiff) after the gear is engaged. Why would the pilot rings (located just above the gear) be different? FYI, the HEI I'm comparing the unilite with was from the 427.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Doug, it's not uncommon to have to remove a little material from the "rings".

Just take some medium/fine crocus cloth or whatever, and remove a little by hand. It doesn't take much.

BTW, welcome from another Colo Spgs member.

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTophttp://hometown.aol.com/zz430droptop67rs
~~~~and~~~~
70 RS
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I compared the pilot ring diameters and the unilite is slightly larger. I'll go with your suggestion. I'll let you if I'm successful.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Is there a chance the oil pump driveshaft is for a small block. I was going to ues a big block oil pump in my small block. I did'nt install a big block oil pump driveshaft. The distributor (a new MSD) would go in about 1/8 inch shy of being seated down. The larger big block pump with the longer small block driveshaft caused this. My new MSD was also a tight fit. Hope its an easy fix.

------------------
Black 69 camaro

[This message has been edited by HOTROD69CAMARO (edited 10-25-2002).]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Success! I did a combination of two things. First, I did a SLIGHT bit of sanding to the pilot rings. This eliminated the binding but still did not drop down completly. Next, I used my drimmel and barely chamfered both edges of the oil pump driver. Bingo, dropped right in. Thanks for all the suggestions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts