Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a MSD 8360 distributor in my car and when I went get a replacement cap for it, I looked it up in the little manual that came with it, the p/n for the distributor cap call out said, 8433.
So I went down to the local store to get one, found that part number and noticed it has something a tiny bit different.

There is a black button like thing on top of the cap. I didn't open the package to see if it actually is a button but I can't imagine it is one because why would any distributor need a button there? I've had my distributor apart and changed the springs and such and can see no reason that would be there. I know its not a button, it just looks like one. Still, can't see a reason for it for my application and so I'm not sure if I have the right part in mind.
What is that black button looking thing? My current cap doesn't have that.

Its probly obvious to most of you here on TC but not me.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I think its call a carbon button, stock GM caps have them.... Check MSD web site for the part number cap and or dist you have

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
It's a vent to let moisture out of the cap.

·
Registered
183 Posts
P/N 8435 was replaced by 8433, both are red, the 8433 has the vent button, 8435 does not.

To be even more confusing, MSD also has the same cap as the 8433 in BLACK, P/N 84333.

These caps all interchange, as does a Standard Blue Streak p/n DR429 cap for stock GM distributors with the window adjustment in them, and others.

Regards,

Milton

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK cool.

I went out and got the 8433.

Now here is one more question......

There are provisions to screw down the cap as opposed to the clamps that I've always used in the past.
Is there any advantage to screwing down the cap?

·
Registered
183 Posts
On some MSD distributors, the retention is by the screw, and not the "bent nail". MSD gives you the choice. Most distributors use the bent nail, and have no problems with that method.

Regards,

Milton

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On some MSD distributors, the retention is by the screw, and not the "bent nail". MSD gives you the choice. Most distributors use the bent nail, and have no problems with that method.

Regards,

Milton
No advantage to the screw?

To screw or not to screw......

That is the question......
:D

·
Registered
183 Posts
GM point distributors with the window for point adjustment use the bent nails. Some after market distributors use the screws, most use the bent nail. MSD gives you the option of bolt or bent nail, because their caps will fit both types of their distributors, and stock ones.

Regards,

Milton

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
There you have it folks. Everything you ever wanted to know about distributor caps! Well, maybe not,,,,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts