Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference? I'm using a MSD 8360 dist. I have had an intermittent miss in the engine since last fall. (The motor has run fine for 8 years) I have an RPM Air-Gap with a Holley 4150 on top of Vortec heads. I'm using the cowl induction air cleaner setup. The air cleaner base is real close the dist. cap and the metal ring for the cowl seal presses down on the plug wires coming out of the cap. If I use even the smallest spacer ring for the cowl seal the hood won't close.

I wonder if the combination of parts I'm using is enough different from stock that it is causing my problem. The plug wires were new 5K miles ago. When I use the open element setup there is no clearance issue and I have no miss.

My thinking is that an original dist. with the window cap may not stick up as high as the MSD 8360. I don't have an original dist. to measure.

Suggestions would be helpful, Thanks Dave

·
Registered
922 Posts
Is there a difference? I'm using a MSD 8360 dist. I have had an intermittent miss in the engine since last fall. (The motor has run fine for 8 years) I have an RPM Air-Gap with a Holley 4150 on top of Vortec heads. I'm using the cowl induction air cleaner setup. The air cleaner base is real close the dist. cap and the metal ring for the cowl seal presses down on the plug wires coming out of the cap. If I use even the smallest spacer ring for the cowl seal the hood won't close.

I wonder if the combination of parts I'm using is enough different from stock that it is causing my problem. The plug wires were new 5K miles ago. When I use the open element setup there is no clearance issue and I have no miss.

My thinking is that an original dist. with the window cap may not stick up as high as the MSD 8360. I don't have an original dist. to measure.

Suggestions would be helpful, Thanks Dave
Dave...I have the same problem. Cowl hood, Holley double pumper and GM HEI dizzy so I have to use the open air cleaner setup. Everything is so close with the HEI cap, so, the cowl induction setup is not an option. :sad: The smaller OE dizzy is definitely much lower and smaller in diameter, therefore, clearance is not an issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts