Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past when dropping an HEI distributor in my car, a few times it must have been out a tooth on the cam. Is there way to know for sure that its in exactly the right spot before actually starting the car?

Any info or tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
820 Posts
usually, I rotate the engine untill #1 is on the compression stroke TDC, drop the dist in and mark the cap for wire #1, then run my wires and its close enough to start, then you can time it from the marks on the balancer.

·
Registered
205 Posts
also you can bring motor to top dead center as chris said then set balancer to timing mark then point at #1.

·
11,268 Posts
I had a good one on my burgundy car (I gotta name em!) I bought a new set of wires and went to install them and the wires in the cap were in the wrong holes! The distrib was 180 deg off, ran fine though. So I just found TDC, put the distrib out moved it to correct spot for #1 kinda straight forward, but just a shade to the drivers side. replaced the wires and I was good to go. Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, Driver

1 - 6 of 6 Posts