Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 Camaro that I would like to put an HEI type ignition system in it. Two years ago I purchased a Mallory Unilite distributor, Mallory 6A ignition box and the Mallory coil to improve the ignition system on the car. After fighting with it for many hours I removed the ignition box and used the Mallory Unilite ditributor and coil. This worked well for a 3 hour drive across the state to the paint shop, once I got it backfrom the shop I had no spark. Needing to get it home I replaced it with a stock setup, after getting it home I went through all my wires looking for a short or something that could have burned up the module inside. All the wires looked fine so I reinstalled the distributor (with a new module) and the coil, it started fine, sound fine so I thought it could have been a bad module or something could have happened at the shop, I drove it maybe 100 yards down a hill and then it left me stranded.

To make a long story short, I dont like the Mallory Unilite and would like to put an HEI distributor in it but do not have the clearance. What distributor would you recommend that would work reliably without clearance issues.

Thanks for all your help with this ahead of time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have read alot about these but they have not convinced me yet. I want something that I can rely on and that will not leave me stranded. Although this car looks good sitting there, it looks much better going down the road. Thanks for your quick response

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Personally I like Performance Distributors have bought 3 in past but they don't have a small one. I am gonna need a small one myself one day if I ever get the 67 on the road.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I now own 37 Dave's small body HEI's converted distributors of all kinds, HEI, MSD trigger only and his new EFI HEI conversions. He is the ONLY person I have do my ignitions any more, and I have tried every other one made. Even if I use an MSD box and coil, Dave gets the distributor to go through, and install the correct MSD magnetic pickup into.

I just got fed up with all the poor performance, lack of good tech help and failures of the other systems, I now, just send the new project distributor to Dave, it gets done, and sent back right for the engine, and, they don't break.

Regards,

Milton

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Milton,

It sounds like you trust this guys work, I will have to give him a call tommorrow and see what he has to say about my setup. Thank you for your response, I too am fed up with lack of tech support and walking home when the ignition fails.

Thanks,

Nick

·
Banned
3,176 Posts
Anything could have happened when the car was at the shop!.....I remember the one and only time my car was at a shop with strangers, the SOB's left the ignition switch turned on and burned out my points and shorted out my electric choke!:mad:.....They reimbursed me for the damaged parts however!.....In your case, they either left the ignition on or they charged the battery without first disconnecting the ignition system, both of which will short out a module in no time!.....Give your Mallory Unilite another chance and just make sure you don't leave it with strangers at a shop!.....I've been running Unilites for 20+ years and never had a module failure!:noway:

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
lotsa choices. Many use the unilites with no trouble. I had a crane, but after 4 years of perfection, it started eating modules, as in 3 in six weeks!!! I went to an MSD ready to run and that was perfect the whole time I had it, tho some have said those rust up inside.

I went with efi, and bought an ebay china electronic controlled distributor for $52... thing works perfect, and it has some miles on it, it fits standard GM 8 pin module.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe they may have tried to jump it at the shop and ended up destroying the module, but I put a new module in it and it started and idled fine but as soon as I went down the road and got the RPM's up a bit it fried another one. This whole ignition system has me doubting my own electrical skills and I am even contemplating taking it to a rod shop to have it installed by a professional. I hate to bring it to a mechanics shop, it has never been in the 40 years this car has been in my family. Thank you for your information I may try it one last time

·
Registered
183 Posts
I also had so many problems with other ignition system companies, I just got to the end of it, and finally, luckily, got turned onto Dave and his work. Like many others who actually know Dave, I became a friend, and customer. He has been solid platinum to me, and has also built 12 of the engines for my project cars, not one problem with any of it, and, he has always been there for tech help and advice, always on target.

I am fortunate to have a good job (buyer for a large pharmacy system in a chain of drug stores), and, a wife that is also a car nut, to have a LOT of restoration and hot rod projects. Dave has helped with just about all of them, and I trust him all the way.

This is why I send him ALL my distributors for every project I drag home, and he has never let me down. He has proven to me, over and over again, he knows what he is doing.

Regards,

Milton

·
Banned
3,176 Posts
Nick, I forgot to mention that if you had any welding work done at that shop and they failed to disconnect the ignition system, this could have shorted out the control box and the ignition module!

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I've read a lot here from a lot of people over the years about Dave's distributors.
I've seen the pics, he puts a reluctor wheel and trigger coil in a points distributor, and screws an HEI module underneath...

Really, what to do these things think of water?

Can the take a DIRECT blast from a pressure washer?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I tried to get Dave to do a dizzy for me, but after waiting about 2 months to get ahold of him and waiting two more months for him to call me to send my distributor to him, I finally just went with the MSD ready to run. It was a snap to install and it has performed flawlessly.

·
Retired
16,013 Posts
My Unilite is working fine, after JimM fixed the frayed wire inside it, while parked on a mountain road in Montana :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Dave did have a few health related problems a year or so ago. He was on his roof with his neighbor's son, fixing shingles from wind damage, when the kid lost his footing and slid. Dave grabbed him, stopped him from falling off the roof, but, got catapulted off the roof himself. When Dave landed, he ended up on a large rock, broke his hip. So, he was still in pain a month and a half later, found he also had a broken back. That took a while for him to get over, and I wold assume that was the time that people couldn't get in contact with him.

I guess it would be his problem that he didn't just leap up and whip conversions out for impatient people when he was laid up. I do know that right now, he is moving his sister from Los Angeles to his town, and won't be doing any work until after March 10. He is moving her by himself, NO help from others. Maybe he should just hang on the computer and by the phone, so he doesn't miss a single inquiry, that way, he wouldn't get bad mouthed so much.

As I said, Dave is a platinum person, and, sometimes he has to do other things for others in his family, and, seems to get hurt when he shouldn't. That probably has taken more time away from his business than anything else. So, when you get irritated with him when he doesn't jump right on the computer, or phone you right back that very instant, please remember, he may well have a darned good reason for not doing so, that you may well NOT know about.

I'll still stick with a Dave's conversion, even if it does take a bit longer, they work, Dave is a good guy, and I have never had a problem with him, and/or his products, NEVER.

Regards,

Milton

1 - 20 of 29 Posts