Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a non original distributor that has a red and black wirecoming off of it on my Z. Do the red and black wires coming off the distributor go to the coil. Also the coil has an external condensor attached to it, does it connect to the positive on the coil. Thanks and excuse my ignorance.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
i have a car...its broke...whats wrong with it???lol...online repair and diagnosis is difficult sometimes...we can usually use all the pertinant info you can give...like does it have a name on it anywhere...is there points or a mag pickup in it...etc...(sorry for the ball busting)

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
I've got a non original distributor that has a red and black wirecoming off of it on my Z. Do the red and black wires coming off the distributor go to the coil. Also the coil has an external condensor attached to it, does it connect to the positive on the coil. Thanks and excuse my ignorance.
Red and black wires from the distributor are normally part of a Pertronix conversion; the Pertronix module wants a full 12 volts, so the red wire should be tied directly to the fuse block (it's only getting 7-8 volts connected to the coil + terminal). The black wire from the distributor goes to the (-) coil terminal.

The capacitor on the coil is for radio noise suppression - its lead connects to the (+) terminal on the coil.

:beers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts