Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to install a mallory unilite distibutor and promaster coil in my 67 camaro witch has a 350 smc engine and would like to know if i need to install this ballast resistor or not. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
I am going to install a mallory unilite distibutor and promaster coil in my 67 camaro witch has a 350 smc engine and would like to know if i need to install this ballast resistor or not. Thanks

I ran it without and it was popping the Unilite internals. they suggest you run the ballast resistor.

Dont use an old "67-69" ballast resistor but a new one. Do to the fact you dont know what has happened to the old one. and replacing the internal module is a pain.

at $100. a pop to replace, CYA

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
ya along the firewall as you face the engine off to the right is usually a good spot to mount it. check your volts and what wires you are going to use to send juice to the ballast and coil.

12v is what needs to be going into the ballast + side. and 9v is typical for - side.

take your time and check then recheck voltage before you turn the car over.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not working, this is what i did, took the black wire off the + coil and put it on one side of the ballast resister, wire from other side of ballast to + on coil ,red to + on coil, green to - on coil and brown to engine ground. Just turning over does not fire. Any ideas would be apreciated. thanks

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Are u using the orginal loom wire?
Dont use an old "67-69" ballast resistor but a new one.
This is a resistance wire, so u may have 2x ballast resistors in series

12v is what needs to be going into the ballast + side. and 9v is typical for - side.
take your time and check then recheck voltage before you turn the car over.
Did you check?

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
And what is the Voltage ?
The guys above can advise without all the info .

If you havnt a multi meter get one to mess with electrical stuff without at least basic Ohm/ V/Amp meter is crazy.
Mine has thermocouple, volt mV to 1000V / 20amp/ AC and DC , tac.and dwell diode/transitor checker and a ferw other functions I have never had to use.
digital and cost about $US 55 including battery and full carry case and mounts.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
3.8v is not anywhere near enough to excite the coil.

Either wrong value dropping resistor
or
Your coil is drawing way too much current.

How hot is this ballast resist?

If you have a variable power supply you can apply 9v directly to the coil feed (I have a variable bench supply, I just threw this idea out there)

...And I've spent my fair share of time in Tim Hortons, but I prefer Starbucks lol.......

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Hey wait you don't get off that easy, what exactly did you do to fix so the next guy that has the same dizzy, same problem does a search, and finds the fix?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK,I had 12 volts going in but the spark at the plug was weak,so i phoned teck support at MALLORY and he said the plug needed to be grounded so i did and i had a much better spark.He also said to rotate the distibutor 180 degees so i did, put the spark plug back in and it fired right up.Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Thanks Steptoe ,

I was off on a jobsite couldnt follow up, thanks for the assist
glad to see he got it running..

still not a fan of Mallory

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
still not a fan of Mallory
Nor am I