Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i connect my timinglight and let my engine idling it says 10 degrees advanced, then i rev the ngine to 2000 or 3000 rpm, it still says 10 degrees!

i replaced the vacuum-advancer, new springs and oiled all the weights.

pretty loose springs btw.

what could be the problem??

·
Super Moderator
32,301 Posts
Either bad timing light, weights too light, or rotor cap does not spring back when manually turn it by hand and let go as in bound up or mounted incorrectly.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
You probably identified your problem as being weak springs. I can't think of any concievable way that a bad timing light could cause this problem. Are the bushings the weights ride on in good shape?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The shaft could be seized where the advance mechanism rotates. But if the springs are really weak the distributor could be going full advance at idle.
Jim

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Can you manually turn the rotor and have it snap back from the force of the advance springs?

·
Registered
172 Posts
If the springs were weak, then the mechanical advance would want to kick in immediately. It sounds like springs may be too STRONG, holding the weights back so that the mechanical advance doesn't come in at all - or at least not until a very high RPM. First verfiy that the you can move the weights by hand. If so, try switching out some lighter springs.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Check the vacum advance to see if it's hooked up. Then see if its getting vacum. Then remove the cap to see if it is actually moving inside by removing the hose near the carb and sucking on it. You should see it move. If not then the bladder in side may be bad. While the cap is removed see if the weights are binding on the bushings. make sure you are getting vacume through the carb. Then I would check the springs by seperating them and letting go to see if they snap back some what. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Originally posted by magisnyc:
If the springs were weak, then the mechanical advance would want to kick in immediately. It sounds like springs may be too STRONG,
Too strong of springs - not necessarily. If the advance springs are too weak then the timing would be all in at near idle RPMs. So the initial timing would be set to the standard 12-14* and there would be no advance at all beyond that.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you got me there!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts