Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im currently running the electric quadrojet on my 84 camaro . id like to change it to a edelbrock but im told i haft to change the distributor also . is that going to effect the tranny any ? i want to change over to the older model dist but does that tranny hook to my current dist

·
10,147 Posts
I have an 84 pickup that has the conventional HEI ignition. I would think yours is the same. If your distributor looks like the older HEI units, just change the carb.
Distributors that require the computer to advance don't have a vaccum advance on them and have two connectors on the side of the unit at the base. They don't have a vac advance, don't have advance springs or weights inside the cap.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 Origonal owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Trucks did not have to have the computer controlled systems like cars did in '84..The 84 Camaro probably has ECT..

·
Registered
7 Posts
i would say keep the Quadrajet. there great carbs, unlike what people say, people get scared of what they dont understand, and q-jets have a bad rep for not being easy to work with. i would get someone to rebuild it. why you ask? the q-jet has small primarys giving the car better gass mialage for your basic around town driving, and HUGE secondarys for your itchy feet when you need some more juice. there is a book that can tell you how to set it up more for preformance, and there a bolt on and forget kinda carb when you get it set right.

------------------

1 - 4 of 4 Posts