Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has everyone had good luck with these distributors? I thinking about going this route. I like the idea of having a true HEI instead of a drop in conversion. Are they better than the Pertronix 2?

Out of curiousity... I don't want to step on any toes, but why did IgnitionMan did banned?

Thanks in advanced!!

Ohayden,

------------------
Cars:
68 SS Camaro
73 Camaro -Daily Driver
http://68.dhs.org

·
Registered
999 Posts
i heard people discussing his distributors and they claim they work good. he does know his stuff about ignitions, i'll give you that.
as for the second part of the question, i'll just let that one alone.
bruce

[This message has been edited by bruce69camaro (edited 03-05-2002).]

·
Registered
920 Posts
Ignition systems are often misunderstood in that one is led to believe that the more $$ spent, the bigger the coil, the more complicated, the more results you will get on the dyno. Now I will say that some of the new fangled features are kind of nice like RPM limitation etc. But....for the most part
NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most moderate street/strip/hi performance engines today only need the most modest of ignition systems unless you are running high peak cylinder pressures and/or different fuels and/or exceptionally high RPMS (over 6000) that need upgraded ignition systems. Don't waste your money on fancy smacy ignition systems. I have dynoed these engines with all this junk and there are no significant gains over the high performance HEI system or a good Pertronix conversion.

For the most part, a super sized HEI with components to go with is all most people need for reliable and effective power production. Points are not as reliable and certainly will not perform to some of the modest performance levels that are needed to sustain a good ignition delivery under all circumstances, especially high RPMS. The Pertronix is an excellent modest upgrade to your current points system both in performance and reliablity and maintenance in my experience and many others that I know of. It also allows the smaller footprint of the old distributor to be kept....which some, including myself in some applications.

Contrary to Ignitionman's statements here and on other forums, it is my experience that I have used the Pertronix units without a failure or problem, and never have seen one of these failed units in any of my friends, customers or friends of friends applications. I am not saying that Iggy's statement of over 800 replacements is not true, but I don't have corroborating evidence,......yet. I also use other systems as well and I have heard that Iggy's systems are pretty good too. I have not used them. I will also state for the record and an electrical engineer, that Iggy speaks well of the subject.

If you have doubts about Pertronix because of some of these statements, I think you have to ask yourself a question. How or where did this company of 50 years come from and why are now they so popular? The answer is that they are doing or making SOMETHING right....whereas we don't buy junk. This company has been producing ignition systems for the likes of ONAN, and other industrial giants for years. You have to be knowledgeable and doing something right to survive for 50 years at this.

No, I don't sell Pertronix, but I suggest that you take your concerns, if any, to Jim Hairston of Pertronix. He is happy to field your questions and is very knowledgeable about this subject. Email him at [email protected] and let us know what you find out.

So, to answer your question....depending on your application, I would say that iggys distributor is not going to help you one ioda with a street hi performance engine even though it is a perfectly good system I am told. If you are starting from scratch...then I would definitely give it a shot....good reputation.

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets

·
Retired
26,948 Posts
Well I have first hand knowledge of the product. Some insight first though. You can pick up a GM HEI for $25 (the coil may or may not come with it) or $50 bucks or convert your old points to petronix for about $75 (don't know actual price). Then you'll need to re-curve it and change the vacuum canister to keep it on a level playing field. That will cost you an hr's labor at a shop with a dist machine ($100 around here) or spend $15-$20 and the whole weekend playing trial and error until you come close to the curve you want. So now you've invested a good amount of money and you don't have a dist that has been disassembled and completely rebuilt/bluprinted. You don't have a dist that all the parts can be had from a parts store in Podunk Anywhere (just in case). The next issue is your firewall and will you be one of the lucky few that have the right engine/mount combination that allows the large GM unit to fit without the use of a hammer? There's one other benifit to Dave's dist and that is it looks like a stock unit so those purist's at heart can benifit as well as those running a crossram (I wish).

So economics seem to be leaning toward Dave's product when you weigh what you get. As for performance. I can only comment on Dave's vrs the GM HEI and I am very pleased with the product I got. After installing Dave's dist I pulled the plugs and regapped them per his recomdations. I replaced them and connected the wires and because it was late I fired it for a min and cleaned up and went to bed. The next morn I was meeting with the club for a run up the coast and headed out. Seems to feel a bit more solid, like the difference in waking up and feeling refreshed ready for the day as opposed to getting off work at the end of the day. Well about half way through the day the gas gauge was not where I expected, I used almost twice as much as I should have. After getting home I went over my steps, new wires, new dist, gapped the plugs! Plugs!! I pulled them and found one was black and completely fowled. A little close inspection revieled I had cracked it in about 5 places when I reinstalled it. I had been running on 7 for almost 200 miles. Well I replaced all eight just for good measure and fired her back up. Wow! what I thought was smooth before was real smooth now. Last year I managed 2 tanks of gas at 23 and 24 mpg going to Hot Aug Nights and back and attribute some of that to the dist as well.

Get your Summit catalog out and compare prices for a MSD dist (not the box) or a Summit brand or check out a DUI (they make small body now)and you'll see comp pricing. You'll be hard pressed to get the personalized service Dave provides from anyone though.

As for IgnitionMan, (Dave Ray) let's just say he stepped beyond the boundries as far as the site's creator, financier and head honcho was concerned.

Steve touches on some valid points and if your existing system works don't replace it until the rest of the package out grows it or you have a failure. Then look at where you want to go weigh the options. I see too many MSD boxes on mild builds that don't show much if any improvement with them...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

·
Registered
725 Posts
I had him do one for me. I'm going to put it on when I put the tripower on. I didn't see the point of spending the cash on the Pertronix when the HEI wasn't much more in price as DjD said.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM, fold down seat, tilt wheel, Torque Thrust Wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust, locking gas cap
COMING SOON Corvette tripower, small body HEI, and maybe "842" aluminum heads

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
but MSD buys all those ads in magazines, and the big dogs run them, so if i get one of their ignitions, my car will be fast like a Winston Cup car...
that isn't my personal belief, just what a lot of people seem to think. i have had nothing but good luck with a junkyard HEI with new parts in it- under $100 if you buy the good stuff. never had a module failure. never had a coil die. never been let down, but i did pnoy up and got the MSD HEI module- i had the $$, and needed a module, so i got it. it didn't make my car into a 9 second screamer, tho. maybe i should put the sticker that came with it on my car, for that extra 10th in the 1/4 mile...

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm partial to mallory products.

Winston cup cars run TWO MSD systems, and invariably, at least one fails every week and they have to switch over to the 2nd system.
But MSD is paying contingency money if you run the decal along with the product.

Try this on the street and you walk home. Come to think of it, I have - I was driving a blown 502 job with a wizz-bang MSD system that overheated - so we got to sit on the side of the road looking really nice while we waited for the system to cool down. Other than that, it was great.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have the whole LSD (aka MSD) system in my car; billet distributor, 6A, Blaster 3. Maybe I wasted my money on it, but I liked it because it was a complete system that works together very well, and I can get help with it from MSD if I need it. I've never had a failure yet, and my 6A is about 10 years old. I noticed a much smoother idle over my HEI with Accell coil/6A, and I seem to have better top-end with the complete system. Tuning the Pro-Billet can be done by just about anyone who can read.

Just another opinion.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner

·
Registered
60 Posts
I got one of Dave's small body HEIs about 8 months ago after talking to him on the phone and via e-mails.
The product works great and looks like my original points dist.
I didn't have a core to send him as I had a Mallory Unilight in my '69 so he quoted me $15 extra for a core. No problem.
I received the HEI as promised PLUS a letter from Dave WITH $15 stating that he had a couple of cores and wouldn't charge me for them.
How many people, after receiving a money order, would mail money back with an explaination regarding said core?
I'd have never known. Honesty comes to mind.
I have no idea what happened on this forum, and frankly don't care, but I would not hesitate to do business with him again.
Can't speak for or against Pertronics as I don't have their product, but am satisfied with DAVE'S SMALL BODY HEI.
AJ

·
Registered
83 Posts
From all that I have heard about his products, they are very good, and you get what he claims. He definitely knows his stuff about ignitions...he is still over at the 2nd Gen Board, where I am a Moderator. The only prob with Dave sometimes is his opinions...they are VERY strong, and so is his stubborn streak. He knows his stuff, and he KNOWS that he knows his stuff...and sometimes forgets that other folks know their stuff as well. I don't know if that is why he was banned from here, but it has gotten him on "the list" a couple of times on the other board...

------------------
1973 Type LT Camaro ...the daily driver

1968 2 door sport coupe...the toy!

1970 Chevelle SS396 (L34)...numbers matching, all original!

American Muscle Cars...as seen in Super Chevy Magazine, THE Camaro/Chevelle/El Camino we do other stuff too!) resto shop in SoCal

The Monday Nite Car Club!...our car club

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a friend that builds his own distributors for his own stuff and they seem to work just fine. We, like the Winston Cup "boys" ran 2 msd boxes also, but only to be competitive, it was allowed and they rarely faild. Hell we would have run 2 motors if we could. Doesn't mean msd is an inferior product. I have run the msd ignition and box for years, sent it back once (not because it failed but just like any performance product for upkeep). The msd and mallory set ups are nice, from my past experiences. Many dollars in R&D and it shows. I just figure the time and dollars I put into my car and there are 3 things I just don't scimp on, 1. Brakes, 2. Fuel delivery and 3. Iginition (Well actully 4. Looks he he)To one his own tho. Just my .02

·
10,164 Posts
Dave's distributors seem to be a good setup and his knowledge of distributor setup was a valuable asset to this board.

But a quick visit to the archives will reveal a very confrontational personality which was very disturbing to almost everyone.
It's been very peaceful since he left.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 Origonal owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

·
10,164 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by clill:
But I miss him..........<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Masochist!

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 Origonal owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
He must have been gone before I joined.

How can we get ahold of him? Does anybody know?

·
Registered
725 Posts
http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM, fold down seat, tilt wheel, Torque Thrust Wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust, locking gas cap
COMING SOON Corvette tripower, small body HEI, and maybe "842" aluminum heads

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the information. My points are going bad so I'm going to make the switch to Daves SB HEI. I was curious since I thought it was a too good of a deal to be true with all that he offered (recurving, bushings, etc.) I guess I ws wrong, it's just one hell of a good deal! Thanks again!!

Ohayden,

------------------
Cars:
68 SS Camaro
73 Camaro -Daily Driver
http://68.dhs.org

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.