Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me again with more questions.

I read IgnitionMan's post (Much thanks to Dave Pozzi) from awhile back on how you should run 12 intial, 10 on manifold vacuum, and 24 on centrifugal (hate spelling that one). So I set out tonight to tune it as best I could like that and here's what happened: I marked my balancer at 36 degrees and turned the intial to it so the timing tab read 0.

Now for the kicker, the Mr. Gasket weights are only 8 degrees unless I somehow messed em up (don't think so was pretty simple to do). I also called the local chevy dealership to see if I could get some 24 degree weights to no avail. So how/where do I find some?

It runs pretty good how it's set but I'm not keeping the intial at some 26 degrees. The Mr. Gasket weights are the only ones I can find so what's the deal here? I knew somethin was goin on when I put in that set. I'm gonna go put the stock back in and see what I got then. Someone enlighten me here.

·
Retired
26,947 Posts
Try using the Mr Gasket cam (not sure if that is what it's called) with the factory weights and use the lightest springs you can without the inital timing bouncing all around... It's real hit and miss. If you can find a shop with a dist machine and someone that knows how to use it, it's worth the hr labor. If you have the time and patience you'll get it close!! If you're off by a degree you can make it up with inital.

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it come with the weight set? I tried the original ones and they're 24 degrees so I'm just gonna return the Mr. Gasket POS ones. If you mean the center piece that goes with the weights that what I put in just how it says.

If crane cams was smart they'd come out with a weight set (24degrees) to go with they're adjustable vacuum advance and springs. Even if it was about $40 most would buy it for an end all guessing game.

·
Retired
26,947 Posts
The aftermarket springs and weights are poor quality... You should have gotten the 2 weights, what I call the cam (piece with holes in the ends and larger hole in the center that goes between the spring posts.) and 3 sets of springs along with the adj vac advance as a kit. I guess you can get them separate too. The crane weights are just like the Mr Gasket ones.

I tried every possible combo of both old and new parts and found the new cam and old weights and the medium springs got my HEI the closest I think I ended up with 18-20 mechanical. I felt that was ok as the stroked SBC like less total...

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts