Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When running headers instead of manifolds, will a divorced choke still function, but just take longer to activate without the manifold heat riser system?

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What engine
unless you get snow, you really don't need a choke here down under
You can weld a pipe to your headers to connect it to.
I get snow :yes: had a -6c yesterday.
Just curious, to my mind the bi-metal choke coil would work ok, but just take longer than a stock system. Currently missing choke mechanism from intake manifold, didn't want to waste time buying stock style if no good with headers.

·
Retired
26,657 Posts
The divorced choke will work fine without an exhaust heat riser, just let the engine warm up a bit before driving off.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
It won't work with a crap if you didn't install the correct intake gasket. I quit using my divorced choke cause I don't want my cyl walls washed with extra fuel and I live in the Great White North. Chokes were made for women drivers who don't want to fiddle with the accelerator pedal and then wonder why the car is stalling.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Chokes were made for women drivers who don't want to fiddle with the accelerator pedal and then wonder why the car is stalling.
Or for those of us who have other things to do while the car warms up. :)

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The divorced choke will work fine without an exhaust heat riser, just let the engine warm up a bit before driving off.
Thanks Dennis :thumbsup:
It won't work with a crap if you didn't install the correct intake gasket.
Really? What is the correct type of gasket?

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
My divorced choke works with headers, but I am running a first gen aluminum Z/28 manifold and I am guessing it heats faster than the cast iron ones do.
It is adjustable. You can just back it off a bit so it doesn't stay on quite so long.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Lynn, I have the 472 alum intake too, glad to know your choke system works.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Believe the stove on the manifold was part of the Therm AC system. All moot unless using an air cleaner with the valve that is set up for it.

By correct gasket assume he meant for under a q-jet or 2 jet that ran exhaust through the intake under the carb to heat things up faster.

Not sure what you're building

Divorced chokes seem a much better idea than elec to me - eleec puts you back at fast idle on a fully warmed engine....

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure what you're building.
Thanks Al, this is for a 306 (30-over 302); only reason I didn't say that in original question because all 67-69 carbs (except on the ZL-1) had a thermostatic choke.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts