Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do Hotchkis 2" front coil springs require special shocks because the are 2 inches lower then stock coil spring? Also what do you all recommend I use, Monroe..Bilstein HPS 1000?:eek:

·
Retired
26,590 Posts
No, stock fit shocks are still used. Hotchkis can provide a custom valved shock designed for their springs but many find Koni Classic's are an awesome match with Hotchkis springs...

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
On both of my cars I am using KYB Gas A Just shocks front & rear with Hotchkiss springs.

On the '69 the ride is firm but handles great.
On the '70 I am less impressed with the KYB, and would consider an stiffer shock.

Paul :beers:

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I have the full hotchkis tvs setup on my 67. Installed everything and drove it with KYb gas adjust while waiting for the bilstien shocks from hotchkis.

The ride was very firm and little bumps came right into the car. However, once I switched over to the hotchkis shocks, the suspension was still firm but could soak up the smaller bumps and overall the ride and handling improved greatly over the kyb shocks.
Its funny because I rode with the kyb and thought it was great until I got the bilstien shocks in and then i knew how much better it could be.

So, I guess my answer is no, they do not require special shocks but I recommend them or some adjustable ones (like the koni's)

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
When I did my springs 10 years ago I went with the Bilsteins from Hotchkiss. They ride firm but do soak up little bumps well. If I was to install shocks today I'd go with Koni 1914's that are adjustable.

·
Retired
26,590 Posts
Isn't there a big price diffrence between the two?
I have the Koni Classic adjustible shocks controling my Hotchkis springs and find the ride and handling excellent for the street. They are set to the lightest setting, I tried adjusting them firmer and the ride got harsh on the typical crappy streets here. If used for open track or autocross I can see adjusting them firmer. That's the one big plus over the Bilstien IMO.

I don't know which is the least expensive but I do know Koni and Bilstien are almost twice the cost of KYB and others...

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
If you want a performance shock, go with the Bilstein or the Koni's. If you just want a smooth ride, the Monroes are just fine and a lot cheaper ! Stay away from the KYB gas-a-justs.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I recommend the Koni Classics as well. DSE has them for $99.00 each. That is the best price I have seen anywhere. They normally go for around $120.00 each.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Hotchkis recommend's using the Bilsteins and are tuned for there spring's and TVS system ,but a person can make what decision they think is best for them self. For myself I went with the whole TVS system ,and am very happy with the ride /handling/and feel of the car .Good luck & Happy Motoring

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the Koni from Detroit speed ordered and should arive this Wed!:hurray: Hope to staert this project tomorrow so expect more question.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I have the Koni from Detroit speed ordered and should arive this Wed!:hurray: Hope to staert this project tomorrow so expect more question.
Great...you will like them..Here is something to put on your screen saver until they arrive.

I set mine on the softest setting and noticed a difference right away. I'm thinking of getting the Hotchkis 2" drop front springs too.....more money :(

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll use that for my backdrop! I have the 2" drop Hotchkis for the front and will use the same settin. After Christmas mabey I'll do the 3" drop rear springs.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Koni's came in today and I'm very happy, but even after looking at the instructions I'm still not sure how to adjust these front shocks, can anyone out there help me?

·
Retired
26,590 Posts
Koni's came in today and I'm very happy, but even after looking at the instructions I'm still not sure how to adjust these front shocks, can anyone out there help me?
Think of the top half of the shock as a spanner wrench or as a socket wrench, you collapse the shock then push down and turn the top and it will seat into place. Now you can turn counter-clockwise for less firm and clockwise for more firm.

http://www.koni-na.com/comp.cfm

·
15,370 Posts
Also will a 3/16 chain with a 700 lbs rating work to secure the spring when I remove them?
More than strong enough. You can use a piece of rope if you want. You just want to stop it from flying across the room in case the jack comes loose or the car moves. I doubt it's going to go flying out anyway.
Once you have a hydraulic jack under the lower a-arm applying pressure and then disconnect the spindle top and bottom (rope\chain around spring), slowly lower the a-arm and the spring will just lay there. Be careful jacking up the lower arm as it may start to lift the car when you break the spindle loose. Unless the engine\trans are still in place.

You'll have to get the jack out from under there and let the lower arm fall to have room for the spring to clear the upper pocket.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts