Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have until Monday to accept buying a project 68 coupe. Before I commit, can I bounce off some ideas with all the pros on this site? The car appears to be a (v8) coupe with RS cloning, fold down rear seat, tilt wheel, power searing, center consol, and other doodads. Car is complete (except motor) and original (except added RS parts and turbo 350) and was driving, but has been sitting for 5 years outside. Body has small fender corner rust, one rear quarter has little bondo, and the car is visually very ugly, but rather solid. Doors sag, windows probably leak, front cracked glass. I realize no car can be described in text and lots of other details are needed for advice. The car is in need of complete rebuild, but will be doing so long term. I have a 396 ready, but only after doing the required mods to the car. I would leave the car as stock looking as possible and not cut body up with mods. So finally, is $1750 sound like a price to be excited about and grab very fast or maybe just a fair deal? Can I use any improvement parts off a complete 77 Nova I have? Any advise, suggestions, scares, ect. would be greatly appreciated. I would prefer a more original rare car but cost is a factor.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well where do we start ?
Check the floor pans; if possible look behind the door panels for lower door rust in the channel; look under, around the windshield trim for rust; look around or under the rear window trim for rust; take a magnet around the complete car looking for bondo filler instead of metal; look at the wiring for poor splicing, frayed wires & extras in the fuse panel; check the subframe for damage or welded repairs.
There's so much more, but figure what you can't repair & add the cost to have a pro do the work.
I've been going through this for over 3 years, but it's finally comming to an end.
Have fun
Dan

------------------
http://hobbystage.net/camaro/dsmart

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
At the price you have quoted (maybe you could even get it for a little less) I would buy that car. If there are usable parts you could most likely make your money back even if you did not restore it!

I have not seen many First Generation Camaros sell for less than that without being very, very lucky!

If the car is fairly solid and you have carefully looked it over top to bottom, front to back, and are satisfied with the project BUY IT!

p.s. The Nova parts will not work except from a '68 to '74 model.

------------------
See my '68 RS/ZZ4 at http://www.100megsfree.com/choptop/camaro.html

[This message has been edited by choptop (edited 02-01-2002).]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Every thing about the car seemed solid such as wiring, subframe, dash and quick look under car. The paint was so badly cracked and chipped (only surface)I found only the upper quarter panal bondo between the windows and fenderwell. I looked in the trunk where the bondo would be and saw nothing smashed, welded, or torn. I can see past the visual appearence and the body is rather solid. The owner already repainted the engine bay and is tidy. Nothing seems to scream out from normal aging. I feel the car would be able to drive with a drop in SB and normal brake, trany, lights and misc cleanup. LOTS of cleaning, but I enjoy that. I would still completely rebuild car over time.

I almost never buy a car on 1st look, so your idea's are very appreciated. The second look-over is the deciding factor. The price is now finalized. The car is a not on the market and I just stumbled onto it. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
if the rust is creaping up on her too bad then wait for another deal, if you think you can tackle the body work or have it done for a reasonable cost then go for it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Dude just know what you're getting into.
The expense, and hundreds of hours of your labor, might drive you nutty before the car is done. Unless you really like working on one ALL THE TIME I'd say buy a nice turn-key car and start enjoying the minuet you drive off. Sure people talk about the satisfation of doing it yourself. Yeah what about when the color turns out wrong, what about that rust you didn't cut out, what about all those trim pieces and their rediculos cost?

If it's your bag though have fun, just thought I'd offer a different opinion

·
Registered
348 Posts
Don't buy it, give me the location and phone number.

------------------
57 Plymouth Savoy in my family since new, just cosmetically restored, 93 S-10 waiting on the 80 Dodge Lil' red Express clone truck to be built then one s_10 for sale, Angie's mechanic and designated Vette cusser.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Have you ever restored a car before? If you have then you are already aware the things that FrankP is warning you about. If not be prepared for a ton of work and to spend a bunch of money.

If it is something that you can handle then go for it!!!! If you have any doubts about the time commitment and financial commitment then don't buy it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all advise and ideas. I have rebuilt a couple cars (55 1st series chev pickup, 70 elcamino, 58 vw ragtop, and curently a 55 2nd series chev pickup), all were daily drivers that I loved to show (a few trophies with the 58 bug). I really want to fix up a car that the wife likes. I asked her what kink of car she wants and her response was an early camaro. She's just nervous because I actualy found one so soon. Our budget is a little tight for her comfort especially since we just found out last week we will be having our second baby. Yahooooo. All my cars have been for me (with her support) but I want to do one for her. I'm just a bit new to the camaros. Your imput has been greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well Brian I've only owned about 30 hot-rods
as personal cars, and a few hundred others as a dealer---I've done my share of wenching for the last 25 years. I now prefer other other pastimes. But you go ahead and swelter and bleed--with grease drpping in your eyes---on a nice summer day, I'll be thinking of you as I ride the waves

·
Registered
925 Posts
I am only 21 and know that real mechanics don't get bloody,and get grease in their eyes. You go spend 20-30 grand on that turnkey car, and go spend your life savings when the car breaks down at the mecanic shop. I will be thinking of you when I blow your doors in my car that I built all by myself and is probably worth more than yours. I could probably go buy a whole other car with the money I saved just on labor. Oh yeah and the pride you feel when people like you look at me in disbelief when i tell them that I built my whole car is worth more than your whole car! and at age 21!

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you think it's cheaper to restore a car,
than buy one done, you've got a lot to learn.
I'm afraid it will be YOU who spends his fortune,(and about 300 trips to the parts stores) to get a car done. That and a few years worth of burns and cuts and yes--grease and dirt in your eyes. You think you're going to put on an exhaust system or work under a car and not get crap in your eyes??? Oh one other thing you better start with a car that's damn straight or the body shop is going to love it when you show it to them and say "I want this thing done right"
And you better hope it turns out right because most of them are not going to repaint it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
H O B B Y-

Many people LIKE to wrench on their own cars... Not everybody has unlimited pocket books to where they can buy turnkey after turnkey. A lot of old car hobbyists enjoy the satisfaction of a DIY job well done.

And if you're spending 20-30k on a turnkey Camaro that isn't super rare; Ie. COPO or YENKO, or UNMOLESTED as it came from the factory w/ Big block or Z28(original EVERYTHING) then your a fool with your money anyways.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes that's the key--it's a hobby. It's just good to have an idea of what you're in for.

As I have seen printed in Hot-Rod magazine--- There are probably twice as many restorations started as completed.

As for $20-30k cars I don't know where you guys come from but around here you can get a nice '69 for about $10-12k.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Yeah, a "nice" 69, that doesnt' compare to a turnkey car like you stated, also, if you use goggles or safety glasses, you wouldn't get grease(?) in your eyes! also I could restore a car cheaper than to buy one. Especially if you bargain hunt and do it yourself. And unless you go to the best shop around, most shop mechanics won't do as good of a job as I would do, they don't care about the car, they just to the job they are payed to do and get it out of the shop, they won't pay attention to details, and care for it the way the owner will. I have seen people buy turnkey cars that aren't even that great. Plus unless you do the car yourself you will never know exactly what the car has. By the way just because you "read" in a magazine that their are more projects not completed than finished cars doesn't make it true. It doesn't matter to me what other people do, I finish everything i build. It is you who has a lot to learn. How many cars have you built? Reading magazines is a whole lot different than doing it yourself. But it is good to know what you are getting into, those body pieces are expensive.

[This message has been edited by cody (edited 02-02-2002).]

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
no reason to argue guys, we all have our preferences. as you can see 68Start wants to get down and dirty, like alot of us here.
I'd venture to say that only top race car mechanics dont get greasy! (not as greasy) as the guys who do it for a living, my grandpa was a real mechanic, he actually rebuilt the parts that went wrong, he rebuilt everything and it helped him pull a nice profit when he sold the car, i know he got greasy!

I'm figuring if you have the money to buy a turnkey car, fantastic more power to ya! but dont down the guy who wants to do it himself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Twice as many restos started as completed- interesting and probably true.

As for a nice '69 for 10-12k, that's too rich for my blood for a "fun" turnkey driver. There was Yellow Camaro at Barret Jackson that sold for $5800- a real world price; not an inflated classified ad or ebay price (Ebay Camaro prices lately- go there if you want a bunch of good laughs). That's what it's worth unless it's an unrestored or concourse original car. The reason is that people at functions such as that auction TRULY know what the cars are worth and are not willing to pay ludicrous prices for cars that are not worth it.

For 10-12k it better be a DAMN nice car- not just nice. For 20-30k it better be a Yenko, Copo, etc.

[This message has been edited by JU87 (edited 02-02-2002).]

·
Registered
23 Posts
I you do decide to buy, check to see if the registration fees have been payed for the last 5 years it has been sitting. I not ask him to take that off the asking price. Worked for me when I bought my 68 , it had sat for 5 years too and was abuot $300 in Ca.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
First of all, I respect everybody's decision in this matter. I just think that lots of us, starting with me, didn't had the spare money to buy a $10k/12k toy at the moment we decided to purchase our Camaro. It's true that when you finish your proyect, you end up spending those same $10k/12k or even more, but that amount of $$ is divided in a couple of years. That makes the spending easier and at times invisible to the other half.
If You have to take this route and at the same you enjoy working on cars, then "Nothing else with the witness". I chose the DYS route and I'm 100% satisfied with the fun and satisfaction obtained in the process, all in all with some dirt in my eyes and a few scratches in my knucles.
Oh, almost forgot, think $1750. is a good price for what you've described.
-----------Good Luck-----------

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench

[This message has been edited by ORENCH (edited 02-03-2002).]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts