Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the Holley Sniper EFI set up with fuel kit for my 75 Camaro with stock 350. What benefit will the Holley Distributor provide? What will I sacrifice by using my old HEI instead? I also noticed that if you get the Holley distributor you also have to get the spark box/adaptor and a coil, so a $500 add on basically. Is it worth it?

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
I’m not sure if your HEI is compatible with timing control ?
Timing control is part of the reason to get EFI. It really smooths out the idle and easy to set advance curves and works like a vacuum advance for load based timing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
From my research, Holley Sniper timing control feature will not support any GM HEI system. It will support the MSD distributor part #85551, but you have to buy parts like a rotor cap that can be phased, if it's not included. You can do a search on their tech support web site. This is one reason I went with Edelbrock ProFlo 4 setup on my 79 Z-28. It all comes in the same box, is a true multi-port efi, and the ecu is not attached to a super heat sink (throttle body) that's known to give issues. It's also less prone to RFI/EMI, and the tech support is very good.

·
13,851 Posts
With the Sniper I’ve done 3 SBC.

1 with HEI No Spark Control. Runs Great
1 with MSD 8360 No spark control. Runs Great
1 with dual sync spark control. Runs Great

So to answer your question you do not need a new dizzy.

Caveat. If you want spark control I would probably use the dual sync because I don’t care for ignition boxes.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
With the Sniper I’ve done 3 SBC.

1 with HEI No Spark Control. Runs Great
1 with MSD 8360 No spark control. Runs Great
1 with dual sync spark control. Runs Great

So to answer your question you do not need a new dizzy.

Caveat. If you want spark control I would probably use the dual sync because I don’t care for ignition boxes.
Are you just using the Sniper coil driver to fire the coil with the dual sync?

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From the Holley Technical Support website:
Question: Is it required to have timing control when using the Sniper
Answer: It is not required to utilize the Sniper’s timing control feature but it will add several benefits. We actually recommend initially starting the engine with your existing conventional ignition system if it is in place and properly functioning. Then upgrade to timing control once you have the EFI installation completed.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Don't even bother with the MSD 85551 Pro Billet distributor, especially if you have a Chevy with the distributor in the back. Lots of EMI/RFI, and it's a lot harder to setup. There is a steep learning curve. Been there, done that. I have the distributor in the box that is practically brand new if anyone is wanting to buy it. :grin2:

Your best option if you want timing control is to go with the Holley Hyperspark distributor. I run a Holley Dual Sync distributor, but bought it before the price drop and before they came out with the cheaper Hyperspark distributor. The Dual Sync has a crank and cam sensor (which isn't used with the Sniper EFI). The Hyperspark has only the crank sensor, which is what you need. You need to drive it with either the coil driver module or a CD ignition box like the MSD 6A or Hyperspark box. My Sniper EFI came with the coil driver module, but I'm not sure if it is included anymore. I have used both. The $500 kit you are talking about includes the Hyperspark distributor, coil, and CDI box.

But, if you don't want or need timing control, it'll run great with your current distributor.

Reactions: bondora68
1 - 8 of 8 Posts