Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first pic is obviously of the firewall. I know the obvious holes, but I'm questioning the round holes to the left and upper left of the wiring bulkhead hole. This is a '68 RS Vert car, so I'm thinking the smaller one to the upper left is for the grommet to run the vacuum lines inside the cabin? I've got no idea about the larger round hole to the left of the bulkhead? Any ideas?? If I don't need these holes, I want to weld them up. Also, I should probably know this, but what are the two holes off to the right of the bulkhead for??

The second pic is of the passenger door jamb. There is a small hole right under the upper hinge. I don't think it needs to be there. I'm assuming "bubba" put it there to run an amp wire to the battery:D

Thanks in advance for you thoughts... Brian

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
The second holes like it came from the factory bc it looks really smooth in the cut out. Did it have power locks or power windows?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No power locks or windows.

68Ragtop, Thank you much. I never thought about the front mount antenna, yep, that's probably what it was for. I'm moving the antenna to the rear, so I'll have to weld him up.

Please clarify for me if you would. The small hole at the top is the RS Grommet hole, The large hole at 7:00 is for the clutch push rod? Seems awful large. The car is a P.G. now, so I guess it was a 4 sp at one time if that's the clutch hole.

Then, the bottom hole that points kinda downward is what? For the exit of the e-brake cable? I'm just having trouble picturing in my small little brain how the e-brake assy bolts in and where the cable leaves the assembly.

Thanks in advance, Brian

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
The clutch rod hole was on all cars. A plate with a rubber seal on the back was installed on auto trans cars. The plate or clutch rod boot is secured by screws into the screw holes at 3 and 9 o'clock.

The hole underneath the clutch rod hole is actually the speedo cable hole. Speedo cable has a reinforced grommet with three metals tangs that snap into the hole from the outside.

E-brake cable hole is actually farter toward the driver side, under those two smaller holes lined up vertically to the right of the photo. The studs on the e-brake assembly go through those holes from the inside, and the cable drops down under there.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, thank you guys so much for the help. I don't know what I would do without you:thumbsup: Wait, I know, I would probably scew up a lot more than I already will during this resto!! So, I don't need to weld any of these on the firewall up then...cool!!!

Now I've got it. The top one is the RS hole. The large one is not needed for my PG car, so I'll have to just get the correct plug/plate thing to cover it. And the bottom one is the speedo. I'm doing a Homer Simpson DOH right now!!! I'm sure I would have figured all this out during assembly, but I just wanted to get them welded up now if any of them needed it. Looks like the only one I need to close up is the antenna since I'm going with rear mount.

Thanks much for all the help. I hope someday I can return the favors and help others when I'm done. I LOVE this Forum!!! You are awesome!! Brian

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
That's why we're all here!

I wish I would have asked some questions about the firewall holes... I wouldn't need to drill out the holes for the carpet guard. :)

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Cars that came with a rear antenna had a rubber plug in the hinge pillar where the antenna lead would normally go. My '68 still has this plug. I don't know if any of the restoration houses carry this plug or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts