Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '68 that wont start. I'm wondering if my neutral switch, from what I have been reading, is not connected correctly. The car was originally a power glide on the column. It is now a muncie. Did the '68 have this switch and would it affect my starting problem and how. I hve the purple wire going to my "S" terminal on my solenoid. By the way I have an HEI unit on the car now. Thanks for any advice. :confused:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Rusty,
There would be a neutral safety switch on a 68. There was a recent post dealing with it. Look at the base of the steering column.
Try turning your ignition on, then jumping the starter with a long screwdriver between the post with the purple wire and the battery connection. If she starts up you can bet the problem is between the soleoid and the nss.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I'll try that tonight. The wire would still be purple at the base of the column right? If that is the issue do I need to plug it back in to complete the circuit? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Yes, two heavy purple wires in a black plug at the base of the column. Make sure the column shifter is in "park" or "neutral" position. The switch has two sets of contacts, one for N/S switch and one for the reverse lights (Pink/green wires maybe??) N/S switch terminals are closer to the drivers door.

I have converted my car to a manual and even did the "body work" on the column to remove all evidence of the old shifter. I kept the old neutral safety switch as a poor mans starter kill switch. When I leave the car, I turn the steering column cuff to the "Low" gear position, and turn it back to "Park" to start! :D

Paul D.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I changed my column out completely with a donor from a manual car. I used the internals from that when rebuliding the column. I kept the old stuff though. Do I need it? I still only get my lights coming on when the key is turned, no starter.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
I don't know about the 68's but the 69's were setup so that a maunal transmissioned car had to have the clutch pushed in in order to start. I know 67's had the switch on the linkage for the transmission itself, don't know when Chevy made the transition to the base of the column but I think it was in 68.

There are two sets of terminals on the backup/neutral safety switch. One set has a pair of terminals arranged this way (--) the other has a set like this (=). The (--) is the backup light set. It should have a pink wire (hot) and a light green wire (to lamps). The light green wire runs from the switch to the 10 pin rear body connector located above the parking brake by the drivers side kickpanel. From there it runs to the rear light sockets. Located right above the (=) connector is a clip that holds the connector for the clutch safety switch which is in turn attached to the clutch pedal by a small linkage. The (=) connector is the automatic transmission neutral safety switch that is used when the car does not have a console. There would be a purple and a purple with white stripe connected to the switch if you had a column shift automatic car. This connector is not used on manual or console cars, as the two purple wires plugged into the clutch switch.

There is a vertical rod that attaches to a tab on the lower end of the steering column in the engine compartment. This rod connects to one leg of a "Y" shaped linkage attached to the inside face of the suframe just forward of the clutch linkage. One of the other legs has a rod that attaches to the bottom of the reverse lever on the transmission. This linkage operates both the neutral safety switch (the neutral safety switch is there on the column but not used on a manual tranmission - there is an extra clutch pedal switch added to prevent starting in gear) and backup lights on a 4 speed car. If this rod is either missing or misadjusted you won't have any backup lights.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can I get away with not using the neutrsal safety switch, in other words bypass it? I know I need the reverse lights still. How much of a pain would it be to set up the neutral switch on the muncie then? I have seen the switch parts in Classic. I just really need to start the car soon to break in my motor. Thanks for the info!
Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts