Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently been convinced to use the Holley gearotor HP150? electric fuel pump because it was a great pump and much quieter. In the build I didn't want an electric pump because of the sound and additional possiblities of failure. Of course the AC compressor lower mount option didn't allow the space necessary to use a mechanical pump on the ZZ4. I don't like it, it's loud and roaring. I've already went and got vibration isolators and mounted it to them and that didn't help either. Suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I used the HP125 which was pretty quiet - only heard it with the motor off. I guess the 150 is louder b/c it uses a regulator?

PS - you should be using the 125 anyway, the 150 is way overkill for a ZZ4.

·
Super Moderator
32,606 Posts
The only way to eliminate the noise of an external pump is suspension. Gear and diaphram pumps are the noisiest. Vane pumps are quieter.

You could get large diameter Adel clamps, cushioned clamps, and wrap the pump in foam, and connect the pump with fuel hoses to remove some of the vibration/noise.

You might consider an in-tank TBI pump as it would be submerged as fluid absorbs vibration, hence, the reason upper end vehicles have silicone filled engine isolators.

Or, turn up the radio.......

·
19,897 Posts
How is it piped in ? all hard line...hard line out only ?
You could flex line both in/out and it may help some ?

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Look into the Bosch 044 pump. Quiet, cheap and reliable.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I guess quiet is in the ear of the beholder but I consider my setup quiet. Sure you can hear it when the engine is off but not when running. It is quiter than the electric fan.

I have mine suspended with rubber cushions as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree with mnm99 -- go with a bosch 044. I use this style of pump on a daily basis with the cars we build @ my shop, also have one on my '79 vette LS3 conversion & it supplies more than enough fuel & is very quiet in the stock rubber sleeve & rubber isolation mounts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts