Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Bobby and I'm not new to the forum but recently registered.
I've been reading your threads for a while now and decided to join up. I have a 68 camaro ss black on black with 402 BB bored 30 over to 408. currently running high 7's at the track. I have decided to put my car back on the street to get more drive time and use out of it (tired of watching it sit all the time and looking lonely...lol) and I was wondering if any of you out there run 16 inch wheels anymore, and possibly what combination tire sized and wheel widths, etc. I've seen plenty of wheels from 14 to 19 inch on a first gen like mine but I hardly ever see a 16" set up. I'm considering American racing Hopster wheels and cooper tires. But anyway aside from all my ranting, I just wanted to introduce my self, say hello to everyone and see if there is any other 16" wheel enthusiast out there. Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Yes...but tire choices today are limited. 255/50-16 is about as big and wide as you can get.I have this on the rear.
215/55-16 on the front.
Might move up to 17"s for the rear only later on to get a taller tire back there.
I'm lowered 2" all the way around...:D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
No reason to,tire selection (as has been mentioned) is poor and will only get worse,17" tires are plentyful and offer optimum handling and performance and best value for the dollar.

Plus,17's will clear performance brakes easier and...fill the wheelwells better.:yes:

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
You can see my reply on this post concerning this:

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=151930

Still don't know about my decision, but its done. I've only found Cooper makes a really wide (295 series) tire. BFG has one listed on their site but when I checked, they had not been made in YEARS, so they were 'backordered' for like forever. I do have a rather wide set for the front (they could be used on the back too) that I've love to get rid of. They rubbed on the front, so I had to go one size smaller.

The only plus I can say is the look of a 16" is unique. But you get no advantage in brake fitment or anything else, so next time, its either 15" or 17" for me. I just don't like the profile of 17" yet; I guess I'm just old.

-Kevin

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
16's??? I am still using 14's and 15's on all 4 of my 69's!!! My favorite is the 15 x 8 Corvette rally wheels with the 67 short caps with 60 series BFG tires. 245 and 225. I don't run road courses or test the G's on the off ramps anyway. I just like the old school look on my old looking Camaros. My black RSSS bb 4 spd has the old Weld Drag lites with a 70's rake, the 54k miles all original RSSS Orange has the 14 x 7 rally's, the RSSS vert Lemans Blue has the Vette wheels ever since 1979 and the burgandy has the rally's. Just an old Camaro Guy talkin

·
Registered
496 Posts
I think 16" rims are very good looking, because I find 15" TTII's to small and 17"+ ones give it a too modern look for me.

Elias

·
Premium Member
5,806 Posts
I think 16" rims are very good looking, because I find 15" TTII's to small and 17"+ ones give it a too modern look for me.

Elias
I agree, that's why I am running 16's.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts