Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here run Wide Ovals or Goodyear Polyglas GT's on the highway to shows or like 500 or 1000 miles before ? I'm building this convertible 69 RS so we can drive it on trips and to shows of some distance , but still want to look original en route and arriving , I don't really want to run Goodyear Eagles , but I absolutely have to have safety and a good ride in mountainous areas and at highway speeds of 75mph or so.

Are they safe ?

Do they ride like crap when hot ?( I know they do when cold)

Would they be safe out west (Arizona , etc. ) where the roads get blistering hot and you see semi truck tire carcasses every 2 feet that let go ?

I had Polyglas GT's on my last car , but it was a trailer queen and it only got about 30 miles at 70mph , the rest were in town at 40mph or less and inside the shows from the trailer , so I never got a good feel for them.

(ps: The redline radial repros don't do anything for me personally)

Thanks all.....

Brian

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have Polyglas on my car right now. I put about 500 miles on my car last year. They are fine in a straight line. I've had my car up to 90 and they feel good. You shouldn't have a problem on the highways out west. Where I don't like them is on a curvy road, and all the local roads are full of sharp curves. I'm going to put BF Goodrich radials on my car when I put the Torque Thrust wheels on for that reason (and the fact that the radials are over half the price of the bias). The old Polyglas also look the best.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM,fold down seat, tilt wheel, SS wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1169124&a=8603468

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
If they are the same as original; I remember the Wide Ovals feeling like they were square on some cold mornings. Not sure about the mountainous areas but I’ve ran them all the way across the southwest and through the Mojave at 70 mph in 100+ deg. days with no problems. They were kinda slippery in the rain though...

------------------
Geezer

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I had a set of Polyglass Gt tires on my 69 Z/28. They were to be blunt horrible! They have such a flat contact patch that they seem to follow every crack or bump in the road. I owned one new in 69 and had the same tires and didn't know any better. The car has only 30,000 miles on it and they looked great when it was parked.
Last year I bought an extra set of J code wheels and mounted a set of Gooderich T/A radials.
I could not believe the difference. They look great and they ride like a dream.
I feel that if you are going to trailer a car then go with the bias tires. If you want to drive the car then there is no comparison.

------------------
Only 69 Z/28s
Garnet Red 30,000 mi
Glacier Blue
Rally Green new in 69

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
If you like to make steering corrections three times every second and enjoy having the car change lanes every time your run over anything larger than a cricket, stick with the bias-ply tires. If not, and you want to ENJOY driving the car instead of having it be a chore, get a set of BFG 235/60 T/A Radials - you won't believe the difference in ride and handling. Tires have come a LONG way in 30+ years - take advantage of it.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
407 Posts
I remember in high school buying a Shelby (1977) and it had Goodyear Polyglass tires on it. To this day, I remember the sensation of driving that car after taking the Polyglass off and replacing with radials. WOW. The improvement was amazing. I agree with the posts above, no way would I buy a set of Polyglass unless they were for a trailered show car that never got driven. Or follow the suggestion of two sets of tires (heck it's just money... haha) one for the road and one for the shows!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts