Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a 68 SS396 on Ebay with a #'s matching 396 and #'s matching M22. The picture of the engine shows a painted intake though. If it's a 325 or 350 hp engine, then should't it have an M21?

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged) & driven daily, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Don't know for sure about 68, but in 69, for sure, M22 was available only on Z/28 and L-78, both solid lifer motors.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
M22 would never be on a 325hp or 350hp 396 from the factory.(of course, it is possible, but unlikely, that it could be a factory error) The L78 would use a square port, aluminum intake. Should be casting number 163. I could not find any square port square bore cast iron intakes in CBN 65-69. Of course, it could be aluminum, painted chevy orange. Could you tell from the picture, if it was a holley, or rochester? holley would have split fuel lines, and no filter.

·
Registered
285 Posts
1970 was the first year the M-22 was available behind a non-solid lifter engine (ls-5 Chevelle) That being said there are exceptions as the M-20 was not supposed to be available for the 69 COPO's yet I know of one example with factory paperwork to back it up. Of course any exception to the solid lifter only rule for the M-22 would need factory documentation to be considered legit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts