Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy this motor....Its never been ran. Is this a good set-up? Is it legit 500hp? I would dyno/break-in at rep shop, if i buy.

I am not very knowledgable with the late model motors. Would I have to do anything different to replace orginal 327? Could I use anything off of the 327 (water pump, starter, alternater, etc)? Will it hook up with t/350 ok?

Thx for your replies.

Chevy 383 all forged 500+ hp stroker motor
Late model 1 piece rear main block bored +.030
Align Honed, Decked to -.005”
Eagle forged steel crank turned -.010 due to factory taper on journals
Eagle 6.0” H-Beam rods, SRP forged flat top pistons
Rotating assembly re-balanced to w/in ½ gram after turning
Edelbrock Victor JR. heads angle ground to 67cc for 10.49:1 cr. w/.040 Cometic head gaskets. 215cc intake runners, 2.08 intake, 1.6 exhaust, 7/16 rocker studs.
Crower Stainless Steel 1.6 roller rockers, custom length pushrods
All ARP fasteners, Head & Main studs, oilpan studs.
Moroso High Pressure pump w/factory welded p/u & matching GenIII Camaro Pan
Chevy “847” cam (made by Crane), Crane high rev factory style roller lifters,
All new retainers & “spyder”. Stainless SPF balancer, Double roller chain.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
The main issue that I can think of is going to be with the Harmonic Balancer. Your 327 had a 6 3/4" balancer, and I am going to assume you have an externally balanced 400 harmonic balancer, that is usually 8". You could fix this by having your engine builder internally balancing the rotating assembly and installing a smaller balancer. Option two would be to install the taller engine mounts for a 67/68 350. Caution: Some auto parts stores simply cross the part numbers to the 327 engine mounts ! Get the mounts from someplace that knows there is a difference. An actual Camaro restoration house, not Auto Zone !

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Sounds like it will make 500 hp or close to it. Should be able to rev its guts out and should stay together no problem. I would change the stall converter and put a trans cooler on it. I agree with Tom on the balancer. Get the taller engine mounts...Whole lot easier...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx guys, ive got built-up t/350 w/2500 stall Hughes converter. Do you think that will work?

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
You can try it and see how built up it is ! When it blows I'd go with a TH400 or a 4L80E.

·
In the 10's Moderator
19,783 Posts
Its has the potential (not failure with the cam specs) and I think you'll need more converter (again, with the cam ??)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry Doug, thats what i get for googling.

here is real specs of cam in this engine.

BrandCrane CamsManufacturer's Part Number109841Part TypeCamshaftsProduct LineCrane PowerMax CamshaftsSummit Racing Part NumberCRN-109841 Cam StyleHydraulic roller tappetBasic Operating RPM Range3,000-6,500Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift234Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift242Duration at 050 inch Lift234 int./242 exh.Advertised Intake Duration296Advertised Exhaust Duration304Advertised Duration296 int./304 exh.Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio0.539 in.Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio0.558 in.Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio0.539 int./0.558 exh. liftLobe Separation (degrees)112Intake Valve Lash0.000 in.Exhaust Valve Lash0.000 in.Computer-Controlled CompatibleNoGrind NumberHR-296-2S-12 IGQuantitySold individually.NotesCamshaft incorporates an integral cast iron distributor drive gear. Aluminum-bronze distributor drive gear not required.

·
Registered
441 Posts
My guess is 470-500hp.

mike

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thx mike, sounds like im in the ball park. Im going to make him an offer today. He's asking $3500.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i got the motor for $2500:hurray:

Now ive got to buy intake (needs to fit under standard hood), carb, ignition, etc. Any ideas?

on the ignition, i Know HEI distributors hit firewall....i would like to avoid drilling holes for MSD box....is there another way to go about it?

thx for the responses.

·
In the 10's Moderator
19,783 Posts
I had a Vic Jr. under a flat (stock) hood with a drop base air filter. (The Air Gap is the same height)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts