Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 thats been restored. all the numbers match and its a 3.5-4 out of 5 condition. The car came with a lot of paper, the original owners manual, the warranty book with the protecto plate still attached, the factory options card, and even the original plastic chevrolet envelope it all came in. it also had a few bills of sale to trace it back a few owners (far as i can tell i'm number 4). BUT....you knew there was a but right...it has a "salvage restored" title. according to the previous owner is was stolen and in arizona once a car is stolen and recovered it has to be labled salvage. he got the "restored" put on by taking it to the DMV and having them check all the vin plates and numbers were matching and original but they would not take the "salvage" off the title. the car is not for sale and i absolutely love it, but i'm wondering how this effects the value of the car. Any thoughts? any idea how to get the salvage off the title...kinda sneaky but it bugs the crap out of me knowing the title says "salvage"...
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
601 Posts
It isn't as important as if, say it was a 2007 car. But it does devalue the car a little (or a bunch depending on the buyer). The only reason I see to try to remove it is to gain value...it can be done, but I'd just enjoy the car. I'd argue that any such attempt is at the very least immoral, and in some states, illegal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, thats kinda what i was thinking...i tried to get it off the right way, by asking the dmv. when they said no, i thought id try other options but it would make it look even worse if i did get away with it. and someone found out when they bought it. and i just read the thread about doug's 69 camaro and i certainly wouldnt want to look as though i'm trying to decieve anyone that would buy it in the future.
thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
860 Posts
Mike i have had a few 1st gen camaros with salvaged titles, most where just driver cars not matching and it did not seem to affect the price of them, most understand there 38 to 40 year old and anything could have happened, seen ins. companys get cars reinspected after thief, car not be hurt in anyway and it got labled salvage on the title, Theres ways to get it off the title but takes time,,Frank

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
I'm surprised they wouldn't remove the salvage title on it. In MN we can petition to have it removed after 7 years. The State doesn't feel it's relavent anymore after the car is that old, and a salvage title for a car that was stolen and recovered 38 years ago certainly isn't relavent to it's current condition. If you only talked to your local DMV, I suggest you get in touch with the main office and ask for a supervisor for advise. I don't know how the salvage title would affect an insurance claim, if the car was severely damaged or totaled, but they could possibly devalue the car because of it. On the insurance basis alone, I would dig a little more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts