Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my '68 Camaro with a 350 small block is having a fuel problem. Strange because I've been driving it for 2 years and it is acting up only now - but it is a hot summer. Cuts out after it warms up, I took the carb off and both of the bowls (Edelbrock Thunder 650) were almost empty. I replaced the fuel pump and it is still cutting out so I am suspecting vapor lock ( I have headers). After warming up, I floored it at high RPM and it acted like it ran out of gas after a few seconds, I took my foot off the throttle and it recovered but still acted like it was fuel starved. I have a metal fuel line from the pump to the carb. I am thinking of insulating the fuel system components but don't understand where the heat can be the problem. Can vapor lock happen between the fuel pump and the Carb? I didn't think so, but perhaps boiling fuel after the pump can cause my problems, I don't think that would be vapor 'lock', but would be vaporization of fuel. But I don't understand if or how this would affect the amount of fuel making it to the Carb since it is happening on the pressure side of the pump. My options are 1) insulate the line before the pump, 2) insulate the line after the pump, 3) insulate the pump with a phenolic plate between the pump and block instead of the current metal plate, 4) insulate the carb with a 1/4 inch insulation spacer between the manifold and carb 5) add a dual feed fuel line to the carb so both bowls have a fuel line feed rather than only a single feed on the right side. I also don't know if everything can be OK but the carburetor itself can be too hot and that can cause the problem. Any advice or technically correct information about how overheated fuel at different points in the fuel system cause what problems and how to diagnose what is wrong and what order to work on changing things to fix the problem would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts