Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered the Moog pitman arm that is listed in the new gear box swap and when I compared it to my old one, it was about 1/2" longer. Will this be a problem for my steering? Not much of a change, but this seems weird to me. Anybody else have this problem?:(

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Same here - I got the IROC steering box and a new Moog pitman arm for my '68. The new arm was about 1/2" longer. It didn't affect anything I could tell.

Plus, the new steering box is the best improvement I've made to the car. It's a huge difference!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that makes me feel better. Didn't want to take the time to paint and put on, just to have it not work.

·
10,142 Posts
The longer arm creates a faster ratio. If your outer arms are long, then the long pitman is best, if outers are short, then the long pitman combined with a 12.7 to 1 ratio box makes the steering very quick, close to 2 turns lock to lock. This is OK but very quick and some guys don't like the steering that quick. If you have the fastest combo of parts, PLUS a small diameter steering wheel, it will be had to steer the car precisely. Stick with a 14" dia steering wheel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts