Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help please. painless wire harness to dome light I have lights when the doors are open but the dome light does not work from the light switch. is it supposed to work from the switch? if so any ideas on what the problem could be. Thanks, Rob

·
Premium Member
19,488 Posts
I am not sure how Painless works but normally the door switch controls the ground to the dome light. If you have a meter you should find there is 12 volts DC at the dome light socket all the time. The other contact in the socket would be the ground. With your meter on the Ohms setting you should get continuity between the ground contact of the socket and metal of the car with the door open. When the door is closed the door switch breaks the ground contact to ground and you meter should show a open circuit.
This is the way I found it works on the stock wiring of my 67.

Roger

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the dome light working when the doors are open and then it goes off when the doors closed. I am not sure if the light is supposed to come on when the headlight switch is turned all the way to the left or not

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Well on a 69 yes they should come on when the dial is all the way to the left. You should feel a little resistance at the end of travel to the left and then turn a little further and the light should come on. Your switch may be defective.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it possible that only that part of the switch is bad. the headlights work, the dimmer works but no interior light

·
Premium Member
19,488 Posts
I have the dome light working when the doors are open and then it goes off when the doors closed. I am not sure if the light is supposed to come on when the headlight switch is turned all the way to the left or not
This is the page from the manual that covers the headlight switch operation.

Roger

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Is it possible that only that part of the switch is bad. the headlights work, the dimmer works but no interior light
Sure is. You can see here the tab that gets grounded when you rotate the switch all the way to the left. One pic shows it open and the other closed. Your tab might be broken off.

What year car do you have, A 69 has a grounding stap around the light switch and wipers and need to be there in order for that to work.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 69. I remember that there is a ground wire coming off of the switch but I did not connect it I will have to try that. thanks for the help

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just FYI for guys with my skill level. Just replaced my headlight switch and everything worked except the dome light when the knob is turned all the way to the left. I was reading the past posts as I was doing it. I was testing it with it hooked up electrically, but dangling under the dash and not yet reattached to the dash. Therefore I had no ground for the dome light. I realized that after looking at more posts. After reinstalling into the dash, the dome light worked when turned all the way to the left since I now had a ground. Thank goodness for this forum or I would have been a couple of weeks figuring that out.

·
Super Moderator
32,282 Posts
After reinstalling into the dash, the dome light worked when turned all the way to the left since I now had a ground.
Good for you as you found the problem, but I believe, and others will correct me if I'm wrong, but fully clockwise past the detent turns on the dome light and clockwise in general increases dash light brilliance.

But, if you like the way it works, go for it.

I forgot to say "You're welcome."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts